TWO men are due to stand trial after a brawl broke out in court as guilty murder verdicts were read.

Officers surrounded and blocked off access to Reading Crown Court in March as the jury returned guilty verdicts in the murder trial of 24-year-old Mohammed Rafaqit Kayani who died from a fatal stab wound to the chest during an incident in Keel Drive in August last year.

On April 3, Riaz Miah, 21, of no fixed abode, and Hassan Al-Kubanji, 22, of Peabody Avenue, London was jailed for life yesterday to serve minimum terms of 24 and 23 years respectively.

READ MORE: Aldi is the first supermarket to give their staff the national pay rise

When the verdicts were read out at about 2.20pm, an eyewitness described the defendants beginning to shout as well as people in the public gallery ‘banging’ on the dock window.

It was heard that threats were made to the jury who were ‘climbing over their desks’ to leave the room.

There was also an incident that occurred outside on the steps leading up to court but another eyewitness added that the ‘scuffle’ didn’t last long.

Access to the court was blocked off for almost an hour. At the time, Thames Valley Police confirmed the ‘disturbance’ and said two people were arrested, one on suspicion of a public order offence and the other on suspicion of assaulting an emergency worker.

Now, Hussain Al-Kubanji, 21, of Peabody Avenue, London, and Reuben Gabriel, 21, are due to stand trial after being charged in relation to the ‘disturbance’.

READ MORE: Television crews spotted in town centre for Ruth Perry's inquest verdict

Al-Kubanji faces one count of assault by beating of an officer, obstructing an officer, and using threatening/abusive words/behaviour. Gabriel faces one count of assault by beating of an officer and one count obstructing an officer.

They are both due to stand trial at Oxford Crown Court on August 5, 2024.

Speaking ahead of the sentencing of Miah and Al-Kubanji in March, Judge Heather Norton, who was praised for her handling of the brawl in court, said: “I make it clear that that the disorder and the defendants part in it play no part in my sentencing decision today.”

Precautions were made ahead of the March sentencing as a result of the incident. Several police officers were present in court and the defendants appeared via a video link rather than being brought into the dock.

READ MORE: Reading crane driver "so humbled" as GoFundMe raises over £10,000 for fire rescue

A third man, Miguel Parian John, 41, of Concorde Way, Slough, was also found guilty of assisting an offender by hiding the blades involved in the incident.