READING Council say 80% of Reading roads are “in good condition” after £9million investment, despite resident complaints about “dangerous” potholes.

The council has said “Reading’s biggest ever road repair programme” has left 80% of residential roads in a “good condition”, which is up from 35% before the roadworks took place.

The £9million, three-year programme saw improvement plans for Reading’s pavements and footways.

According to the Council, there has been “a significant reduction in the need for reactive repair of potholes in the last three years”, as a result of the £9million improvement plan.

Despite this, Reading Chronicle readers have called the roads “dangerous” with the majority of readers agreeing that potholes were the biggest issue with Reading roads.

"All of them" was the overwhelming response from Reading Chronicle readers after being asked what the worst road in Reading is.

Reader Stuart Marcham compared size of some potholes to “the grand canyon."

The Carriageway Annual Status and Options Report (ASOR) shows that 80% of Reading roads are 'Good' and there are now no residential roads in Reading classified as ‘Poor’. The remaining 20% sit in the amber category where repairs remain desirable.

Lead member for environmental services and community safety, Cllr Karen Rowland, said: “We know from previous residents’ surveys that the condition of Reading’s roads has been the number one concern of residents, and I’m delighted that we’ve been able to respond to those concerns with a substantial investment and such an ambitious improvement scheme."

READ MORE: Readers reveal worst roads in Reading for potholes

Improvements across Reading’s roads are set to continue as the Council has recently begun a further £8m investment in resurfacing.

"Whilst the results are excellent, we’re keen to push on from here and improve even more of Reading’s roads, so the additional £8m investment will help us take the number of ‘good’ residential roads up beyond 80% and give the residents of Reading the high quality road network they deserve.

"It is important to us that we enable our infrastructure to continue to support our economy, and this plan along with the additional grant funding will deliver that”, Councillor Karen Rowland added.

Reading Council has secured a £250,000 two-year National Highways Grant Funding Allocation which will go towards upgrading roads that run between junction 11 and junction 12 of the M4.

This will cover sections of the A33, Rose Kiln Lane, Berkeley Avenue and the Bath Road.