RUSCOMBE completed a league and cup double after beating Bethel United 5-4 on penalties in the Industrial Cup final.

The two sides finished first and second in Division One East and it was champions Ruscombe who again got the better of Bethel at Scours Lane.

Indeed, Ruscombe looked as though they would win in 90 minutes as a penalty from Chris Wateridge and an Ashley Jones strike put them 2-0 ahead.

But Bethel managed to force extra time thanks to a brace from captain Stuart Newton, with the second goal coming late in the game.

Neither side was able to grab a winner in the added half an hour so the match went to penalties.

Ruscombe goalkeeper James Bradley gave his side the advantage when he got down low to save from Sean De'Oliveira.

But Bethel's Anthony Roach pulled his side back into contention when he kept out Shaun Bannon's effort.

With the scores tied, the shootout went to sudden death and Bradley was the hero as he again saved, leaving Jones to score the winner.


CHAIRMAN Martin Law admitted inexperience cost Highmoor Ibis as they were beaten 3-1 by Wokingham & Emmbrook in the final of the Reading Senior Cup at the Madejski Stadium on Tuesday evening.

But Laws added that his side, who finished as runners-up in Hellenic Division One East in their first season, have a lot to be proud of this year.

Along with winning promotion to the Hellenic Premier, where they will play Wokingham twice next year, they got to the final of the Supplementary Cup and the quarter-finals of the Floodlit Cup.

"Tonight the season caught up with the side, they were tired, that makes a major difference," Law said afterwards.

"Wokingham were the better side, you can't take that away from them, they were a bit more organised, a bit fitter and fair play to them, our inexperience showed at times."

Highmoor looked as though they would fall behind early on at the Madejski when Adam Cornell was pulled down in the area.

But Matt Jones saw his spot-kick superbly saved by Highmoor goalkeeper Chris Elton.

Division One East runners-up Highmoor took advantage of the let off as manager Shane Small-King curled a free-kick into the back of the net.

Wokingham responded quickly to the set back and drew level thanks to Dean Thomas' first goal of the night.

The score remained level at the break but Highmoor came agonisingly close to regaining the lead when Dave Bellis was robbed in defence and the resulting shot struck the post.

Jones and Luke Lee both saw excellent opportunities saved by the goalkeeper at the other end before Cornell put Wokingham ahead with a stunning strike.

Satsumas skipper Tom Hopper headed a corner back across goal and Cornell leapt into the air to acrobatically volley the ball into the back of the net.

Wokingham looked comfortable with the lead as Highmoor struggled to create chances against a well-organised defence and midfield.

And Thomas ensured Satsumas were celebrating at the final whistle when he collected a pass on the counter attack and fired a shot into the far corner.

The winger could have completed a memorable hat-trick in injury time but he saw his shot hit the post with just the goalkeeper

to beat.


THREE goals in nine minutes helped Barton Rovers Reserves beat Purley Jubilee 4-2 in the final of the Ted Cambridge Cup.

Barton took the lead when Richard Wicks fired in a low free-kick past the goalkeeper.

And two quick goals from Anthony Tribe and Jody Athurs put Barton well on their way to victory at 3-0.

It took Purley until the second half to pull a goal back through Danny Nicholson and John Fletcher then made it 3-2.

But Barton secured victory late in the game when susbtitute James Ashford netted the fourth goal.


THE Reading Saturday Football League have confirmed that Woodcote Stoke Row and Westwood United will share the runners-up trophy in the John Dell Senior Division.

Both teams finished the season on 54 points from 26 matches with a goal difference of 29.

And, after consulting with the clubs, the league decided that both teams will be awarded with runners-up medals as soon as the second set has been engraved.