Unattended ironing sparks kitchen fire
Published: 16 May 2012 17:00
Crews from Newbury fire station were called to a semi-detached house in Doveton Way, Newbury, shortly after 1pm when a pile of clothes placed on a hob caught fire.
Firefighters put out the flames within minutes but the room was severely smoke damaged.
The resident - a woman in her 30s who raised the alarm after returning to the kitchen from her garden - was unharmed.
Watch manager Lee Glover said: "It's important to keep the tops of cookers clear from flammable items."
Get more stories from our Reading section
18 Apr 2014 08:00 • Nick Gutteridge
POLICE have landed a hammer blow in their war on drugs after a judge jailed the final member of a powerful narcotics gang capable of flooding Reading’s streets with nearly half a million pounds worth of heroin.
18 Apr 2014 07:59 • Nick Gutteridge
A JUDGE has praised the bravery of two undercover police officers who helped bring down some of Reading’s biggest drug lords.
17 Apr 2014 17:00
A PRISONER on day release who mowed down a policeman in a stolen car and left him for dead has been jailed.
17 Apr 2014 16:59 • Andrew Belt
POLICE are trying to track down a teenage boy who was attacked and left with head injuries in west Reading.
17 Apr 2014 14:20
MOTORISTS have been boosted by the news that water mains replacement work on Caversham Road will end tomorrow.
17 Apr 2014 12:00 • Joe Gammie
A DRIVER who killed two cyclists in a devastating smash in Purley while nearly two-and-a-half times over the drink-drive limit was jailed yesterday (Wednesday).
17 Apr 2014 08:00 • Andrew Belt
WORRIED neighbours have described the “horrendous” moment a car with three young children inside smashed into a parked car on a notoriously-congested road.
16 Apr 2014 15:59 • Nick Gutteridge
A TOP team of council workers who help youngsters struggling with speech and language skills have scooped two prestigious awards.
16 Apr 2014 14:25 • Tessa Watkins
THE number of unemployed people signing on in Reading has dropped.
16 Apr 2014 12:00 • James Ash
THE “biggest job fair in town” which aims to match up jobseekers with vacancies was officially launched last week.
16 Apr 2014 09:20 • Andrew Belt
A WARNING was issued to people planning barbecues after firefighters were called out to a blaze in Tilehurst last night.
16 Apr 2014 08:00
READING East MP Rob Wilson has praised the work of a charity which helps provide toys for struggling families.
15 Apr 2014 17:00 • Nick Gutteridge
“UNSIGHTLY” scaffolding which has been propping up a churchyard wall in central Reading since the 1980s is finally being banished.
15 Apr 2014 12:00 • Tessa Watkins
A CATHOLIC priest from Reading flew to Afghanistan this month to spend four months ministering to troops in Helmand province.
15 Apr 2014 08:00 • Nick Gutteridge
WARRING neighbours employed property experts to fight their corner in a heated debate over plans to build a futuristic house in leafy Mapledurham.
14 Apr 2014 17:00 • Andrew Belt
A PETITION has been launched by campaigners who say betting shops are taking over Tilehurst.
14 Apr 2014 12:00 • Andrew Belt
DISGRUNTLED neighbours who say their lives have been blighted by crater-ridden roads can breathe a sigh of relief after a promised cash injection.
10 Apr 2014 16:29 • Andrew Belt
A FATHER and his three young children had a lucky escape after a car smash in Tilehurst.
9 Apr 2014 11:00
IT doesn’t matter what time of day it is, staff at Pierre’s baguette and tea rooms are always cheerful.
8 Apr 2014 15:45
MOTORISTS are being warned to expect delays for two weeks in Caversham Road.