Unattended ironing sparks kitchen fire

Published: 16 May 2012 17:00

FIREFIGHTERS are warning people to avoid storing items on top of their cookers after an oven blaze today (Wednesday).

Share this image

Crews from Newbury fire station were called to a semi-detached house in Doveton Way, Newbury, shortly after 1pm when a pile of clothes placed on a hob caught fire.

Firefighters put out the flames within minutes but the room was severely smoke damaged.

The resident - a woman in her 30s who raised the alarm after returning to the kitchen from her garden - was unharmed.

Watch manager Lee Glover said: "It's important to keep the tops of cookers clear from flammable items."

Jump to first paragraph.