A MOTHER and son escaped from a Whitley house today after a roast dinner triggered a kitchen fire.

Firefighters from Whitley Wood were called to Kingsley Close at 1.30pm after a cooker caught alight.

Firefighter Dan Smith said: "The woman opened the oven door and flames came out at her, so she immediately shut the door and turned the electrics off, which was the correct thing to do.

"It looks like fat from the meat triggered the fire and the cooker was badly damaged, but the two occupants had evacuated themselves and the fire was out by the time we arrived."

Firefighters spent around half an hour at the scene, and the mother and her teenage son were treated for smoke inhalation.