A LAST-GASP penalty left Redingensians Rams heartbroken following a 37-36 home defeat to high-flying Cinderford in National Two South.

The home side made a dream start as they scored the first of 11 tries shared between the sides in a fabulous game, Omar Ellaboudy going over in the corner in the fifth minute.

Cinderford responded well, though, and centre Jack Hayes went over twice in a four-minute spell of terrific attacking rugby, with James Moffat landing both conversions.

However, Rams were not overawed and hit back in the 23rd minute courtesy of a sparkling try from centre Jordan Souter.

He cut back on a line which seemed to be taking him into traffic, only to break through and touch down.

Tom Humberstone was again unable to convert, but Redingensians went in front when great passing down the line saw Omar Ellaboudy score in the far right-hand corner. Humberstone was this time on target.

The match continued at a breathless pace with play switching from end to end. And Cinderford regained the lead when Reuben Norville went over on the overlap for an unconverted try.

The lead changed hands yet again before the break as Steve Bryant went on a scything run through the Cinderford defence to score under the posts with a bonus point-earning try. Humberstone’s conversion made it 24-22 to Rams at the break.

Some staggering Rams’ defence held a pumped-up Cinderford at bay early in the second half, and it was the hosts who moved further ahead when Andy Berry crossed for a 29-22 lead at the back of a powerful rolling maul.

Tim Brockett responded in identical fashion for the visitors, but the match appeared to swing in the Rams favour when Joe Duffelen scored their sixth try.

Bryant scooped up a loose ball and ran down the left side of the field before an inside switch to Duffelen allowed the wing to sidestep his way to the line for a wonderful score.

Humberstone added the extras and with 70 minutes played, Rams looked in control at 36-27 up.

However, Cinderford are not unbeaten for nothing and the title favourites maintained their unbeaten record at the end of a dramatic final 10 minutes.

Firstly, Matt Lane forced his way over, with Moffat again converting, and Cinderford then showed great composure in the closing stages to go through the phases and win the penalty that allowed Moffat to seal a dramatic victory with the last kick of the match.

Eight-placed Redingensians have now won two of their opening five games, but have picked up three bonus points.

They travel to the side one position above them in the early-season table, Tonbridge Juddians, on Saturday.