TYLER Blackett had an afternoon to forget as Reading FC fell to a fourth successive defeat at Madejski Stadium with a 2-0 loss against Neil Harris’ Millwall.

Blackett, who was introduced early in the first-half to replace Tommy Elphick, was booed off of the pitch by Royals fans after having sloppily handed the Lions a second goal through Lee Gregory.

The visitors had already taken the lead through a deflected Mahlon Romeo strike in a game which saw Millwall dominate Royals throughout.

Royals looked bereft of confidence throughout, despite an emphatic win over Burton Albion in midweek, and registered just a single shot on target as pressure once again mounted on boss Jaap Stam.

Villa loanee Elphick was handed his full debut while deadline day signing Chris Martin was named on the bench as Stam made just one change to the side which beat Albion on Tuesday night.

Sone Aluko was the man to drop out of the side as Royals began the game with a back five while Jon Dadi Bodvarsson and Yann Kermorgant led the attack.

Millwall were almost gifted an early present when Tiago Ilori needlessly gave the ball away and allowed Lee Gregory to charge through on goal. The pace defender recovered quickly however and denied Gregory the chance to shoot.

The visitors threatened again when a teasing cross from Wallace found Gregory in the middle but the shot looped high and over Vito Mannone’s crossbar with 10 minutes played.

And Neil Harris’s men thought they had taken the lead when former Reading FC academy star Jake Cooper swept home from a free-kick with 18 minutes gone, only for it to be ruled out for offside.

The hosts kept coming and a tame pass back to the keeper by Bacuna nearly gifted Gregory another golden opportunity. Thankfully, Mannone was quick to react and cleared the danger.

Boss Stam looked visibly distressed on the touchline as Royals had failed to register a single with 25 minutes on the clock.

Defender Elphick’s home debut was cut short when he was forced to withdraw on the 30 minute mark with what appeared to be a knee injury. Tyler Blackett was introduced to replace him.

Speedy Modou Barrow tried to unlock Millwall’s resolute defence with a sprint down the left wing but he was quickly wiped out by McLaughlin, who found himself in the referee’s book.

Mannone then showed his class when a string of successive saves denied Millwall what looked to be a certain opener on the stroke of half-time.

Millwall continued the attack and a dangerous cross from Onyedinma was glanced towards goal by Reading’s Ilori. Thankfully for Royals, the ball narrowly evaded Mannone’s post.

But it was Royals who missed the most gilt-edged opportunity to take the lead when Barrow burst into the box and flashed the ball across the face of goal, missing Bodvarsson’s toe by a matter of inches.

Reading went into the break having failed to register a single shot on goal and the half-time whistle was met by a chorus of boos from the Royals’ faithful.

Fleet-footed Barrow tried to get Royals going early in the second half and danced his way past two players before dinking a cross towards Kermorgant.

But Royals’ attacking intent did not last long when Tyler Blackett tried to be clever before being robbed by Gregory.

Gregory drilled a cross into the box but Royals just managed to cut it clear with Steve Morison ready to pounce.

Dave Edwards nearly had a birthday to remember when he came within inches of poking home Barrow’s whipped cross with 58 minutes gone.

Royals finally registered a shot seconds later when Van den Berg’s ambitious volley from 30 yards sailed high and wide of the goal.

Blackett was almost the master of Royals’ downfall once again when he sold Mannone short before trying to play the ball out from the back and needlessly squandering possession.

Stam threw on Chris Martin for his debut in an attempt to add more urgency into Royals’ sloppy attacking play. French forward Kermorgant was withdrawn.

But Millwall finally took a deserved lead with 69 minutes gone when substitute Mahlon Romeo’s shot deflected off of Leandro Bacuna and sailed beyond the rooted Mannone, sending the visiting supporters into raptures.

And Neil Harris’s side quickly doubled their lead when Blackett once again lost the ball and allowed Morison to race clear. Morison teed up Gregory in the middle to simply round Mannone and tuck the ball into the back of the net.

Supporters soon turned on Blackett who was booed by the home fans every time he touched the ball in the wake of Millwall’s second goal.

Loanee Martin earned Royals a free-kick in a golden position but Bacuna’s shot sailed well high of the crossbar.

Tyler Blackett’s nightmare afternoon came to an abrupt halt when he was replaced by Garath McCleary with 80 minutes on the clock.

Royals’ wayward shooting continued with 89 minutes gone when Martin laid the ball off for Van den Berg who thundered a shot over the bar.

Reading finally mustered a shot on target deep into injury time when Welshman Edwards’ glancing header was palmed away by Jordan Archer.

It was Royals’ final chance of the game as Neil Harris’ men took home a deserved three points.

Reading FC: Mannone, Gunter (c), Elphick (Blackett,31) (McCleary, 80), Moore, Ilori, Van den Berg, Edwards, Bacuna, Barrow, Kermorgant (Martin,67), Böðvarsson.

Subs not used: Jaakkola, Evans,Aluko, Clement.

Millwall FC: Archer, McLaughlin (Romeo), Meredith, Hutchinson, Williams, Gregory (Shackell, 87), Onyedinma, Wallace (Ferguson,75), Morison, Saville, Cooper.

Subs not used: Martin, Tunnicliffe, Marshall, Elliott.

Bookings: Ilori (17), McLaughlin (40), Saville (77), Bacuna (83).

Referee: Andy Davies Attendance: 17,282 (2,661 away)