DANNY Horscroft scored for the third game in a row, but his goal failed to prevent Woodley United losing 2-1 to Brimscombe & Thrupp at Rivermoor Stadium on Saturday.

In front of about just 20 spectators, United’s defence soon came under pressure and it needed some sterling work by skipper Idris Kamara to deny the visitors. The big centre-back got up well to head clear and then produced an acrobatic clearance.

Kamara has been outstanding this season, but they could face a battle to keep him as it is understood Flackwell Heath’s new manager Marcus Richardson is keen to sign him.

Woodley have already lost Jake Nicholls to Combined Counties League side Camberley, having previously played for their under-18 team.

Kamara and keeper Alex Reed managed to repel the visitors, but a rare error at the back gifted Sam Blackie the opening goal after 22 minutes.

Reading Chronicle:

Alex Reed comes to Woodley's rescue during Brimscombe defeat.

Looking for an immediate response, Owen Davies shot narrowly over from 25 yard and the hosts enjoyed a good spell of possession.

Sam Guze brought out a good save from Ashley Gale, diving to his left, and winger Callum Samuel-Harman saw his effort blocked after cutting in from the left.

The pressure paid off on 32 minutes when Horscoft equalised, heading a Davies corner into the top right-hand corner.

With the rain getting heavier, the dangerous Blackie had a shot blocked by United centre-back Mitch Porter, who then launched a Woodley attack that saw Samuel-Harman tee-up Davies, but his effort was cleared.

The Gloucestershire side started the second half well, creating several half chances. Blackie’s cross-come-shot was tipped over by Reed, while substitute Ben Deakin shot weakly at goal.

Woodley returned to the attack with Samuel-Harman being denied by Gale and a Davies cross being blocked.

United’s best chance of the half fell to Horscroft who came agonisingly close to turning home a right-wing Guze cross.

Reading Chronicle:

Woodley's Mitch Cooper in action against Brimscombe.

Brimscombe’s winner came on 75 minutes with a fine move that ended with Jack Smith setting up Blackie, who slotted the ball past the advancing Reed.

Blackie was denied a hat trick by Kamara after finding space on the left side of the box.

Woodley made quick-fire changes in the hope of salvaging a point with Davies making way for Marvin Hinds and Hayden Richardson being sent on in place of Joe Barley for his first-team debut.

But it was the away side who created the final two chances with Reed denying Blackie a hat-trick.

Woodley were beaten again on Wednesday night, this time losing 2-0 at Brackley Town Saints.

Mitch Cooper threatened first for Woodley with a header that was well saved.

But they struggled to create much after that as Brackley gained control.

However, Reed made a succession of fine saves to keep the hosts at bay.

The Woodley keeper beat away a number of shots from James Watts and Ryan Knight.

Watts also hit the post early in the second half and the pressure finally told when Brackley took the lead on 62 minutes, skipper Lewis Baldwin firing home a free-kick that gave Reed no chance.

Woodley tried to find a way back, but the closest they came were a couple of long-range efforts from substitute Guze.

Both sides were reduced to 10 men with six minutes to go, Woodley's Porter seeing red for a lunge on Charlie Killie, who also walked for his retaliation.

And as the visitors threw men forward, they conceded a second goal in the final minute, Alex Stott tapping in from a left-wing cross.

Woodley host Fairford in the league on Saturday (3pm), followed by Windsor in the second round of the Perpetua Press Floodlit Cup on Monday evening (7.45pm).