WOODLEY United brought and end to their three-match league losing streak with a 1-1 draw at home to Lydney in the Hellenic Premier Division on Saturday.

The best chance of the opening 25 minutes came when Woodley’s Jaydyn Englefield broke clear before squaring the ball to Toby Briggs in the penalty area.

His effort was blocked by goalkeeper Rich Thomas with Englefield also then denied by the shot-stopper.

Greg Beckett saw his attempted chip of Thomas caught by the visitors’ number one, while the half finished with Englefield beaten to the ball in a one-on-one by Thomas.

The injured Beckett was replaced by James Tennant at half time and straight from the restart Woodley put pressure on the visitors.

Reading Chronicle:

Woodley United's Luke Turner is challenged by a Lydney player. Pictures: Peter Toft.

This resulted in left back Dan Morgan passing to Thomas, but the ‘keeper took his eye of the ball which ran to the advancing Danny Horscroft and Tennant and it was the former who steered it into the net from 12 yards in the 47th minute.

Horscroft then set up Englefield to see the ball smothered by Thomas just before the hour mark in what had been an excellent passage of play for the hosts.

However, Lydney levelled on 67 minutes when the ball was crossed low to Naill Halford who unmarked calmly stroked home into the right-hand corner of Reed’s net from 18 yards.

A repeat move two minutes later nearly saw Town extend the lead, but United held their nerve before seeing Tennent hit the upright and reacting first to the loose ball to pass to Englefield who hurried his shot over the crossbar with 10 minutes to play.

United had to survive a last-minute scare when a Lydney free kick was headed wide before sealing the point.

Reading Chronicle:

Woodley's Ashley Ledger closes down an opponent.

Woodley followed up their draw with a 2-0 victory against Virginia Water in extra time in the Reading Senior Cup on Tuesday night.

The tie remained goalless after 90 minutes then burst into life in first-half extra time.

Waters threatened first when Steve Williams was denied by keeper Alex Reed in the 101st minute.

But the visitors broke the deadlock two minutes later, Danny Horscroft bundling home after a Toby Briggs shot had rebounded off the post.

The hosts battled hard in the second period, but Owen Davies netted his first Woodley goal with a minute to go to seal their place in the next round.

Waters also had Finn Evered red carded in injury time for comments made to the referee.

Woodley United host Brimscombe & Thrupp in the Premier Division on Saturday (3pm) and then visit Brackley Town Saints next Wednesday (7.45pm).

Highmoor Ibis

HIGHMOOR Ibis remain in relegation trouble after losing their Premier Division clash at Tuffley Rovers 2-1.

First-half goals from Shayne Bradley and Kieran Alder put the hosts in command, and although Dwayne Coultress pulled one back on 58 minutes, 18th-placed Highmoor fell to another defeat.

Highmoor host Thatcham Town on Monday (7.45pm).

AFC Aldermaston

AFC Aldermaston crashed out of the Bluefin Sports Challenge Cup after a Richard Bond brace followed an Adam Mcnamara strike to guide Virginia Water to a 3-0 win.

The Atom Men visit KS Gryf in the Maidenhead Norfolkian Senior Cup on Saturday (1.30pm).