WOODLEY United fell to a 2-1 Hellenic League Premier Division defeat at fast-improving Windsor on Saturday.

After an even opening five minutes, the home side went ahead with the first shot on target. Some nice skill by Barry Hayles opened up space on the edge of the box, allowing the Windsor forward to find the right corner.

Moments later the lead could have been doubled when a right-wing cross by Nadir Shafi was headed into the path of defender Elliott Woodham who put the ball over from close range.

Twenty minutes in saw Woodley have their best spell so far.

Toby Briggs set up Callum Samuel-Harman who cut in from the left before seeing a right footed effort blocked, and Danny Horscroft then had a free-kick from 20 yards miss to the right.

The United pressure continued as a lovely cross by Jayden Englefield was acrobatically cut out by Ramel Sutherland before it could reach Samuel-Harman, who would have had a tap in.

With the half winding down Windsor had another very good chance to increase their lead when a Woodham shot fell to Hayles who missed from close range.

At the other end, decent play by Englefield, who had swapped flanks with Samuel-Harman, saw the winger beat his man only to see his low cross cleared for a corner.

The scores were level four minutes after the restart when Horscroft found Briggs who showed good strength to fend off a defender and drill a low shot in off the right post.

Sixty seconds later Hayles tested Alex Reed in the Woodley goal with a shot from the left.

It was a lively start to the half with incidents coming thick and fast.

A big talking point occurred on 52 minutes when the hosts were reduced to 10 men when Woodham was shown a straight red card for a foul on Briggs.

The resultant free-kick was put just wide by captain Jake Nicholls.

Making use of their numbers advantage, Woodley created two half-chances in quick succession.

Englefield missed from the right while Briggs shot into the side netting after a Nicholls pass.

The sides traded shots as the game entered the final 10 minutes. Horscroft fired over from 20 yards before a fine stop by Reed denied a Windsor player who headed goal wards from a Ashley Smith cross.

With the game in added time and looking like it was going to end in a stalemate, Woodley left back Jordan Goddard was adjudged to have bought down a Windsor substitute in the box.

Stepping up from 12 yards, Luke Brooks-Smith smashed an unstoppable penalty into the top left corner.

United fought to the end for an equaliser; a great tackle on Carl Prestidge, who had strong claims for a free-kick just outside the box moments before the penalty, robbed Woodley’s sub a chance to level.

Things got worse for United on Monday, when they lost 2-0 at home to struggling Burnham.