DANNY Horscroft scored the winner as Woodley United defeated Fairford Town 1-0 on Saturday moving up to 12th place in the Premier Division.

Playing with the wind behind them, Woodley started strongly with wide men Owen Davies and Carl Prestidge causing the home defence constant problems.

Davies was involved in the goal in the 27th minute. Receiving the ball from right-back Luke Turner, he found Horscroft on the edge of the Town penalty area and United’s midfielder created space for himself before firing past keeper Charles Steward.

The bottom-of-the-table side responded and it needed Mitch Cooper to clear a goal-bound shot, while Michael Porter made a timely tackle to stop Liam Gale before keeper Alex Reed turned a shot onto the post and out for a corner.

Woodley started the second half on the attack with Horscroft hitting the post and Greg Beckett firing over the bar.

With rain blowing into United’s faces, Fairford enjoyed good possession, but Woodley defended well with Jake Nicholls blocking the ball on the goal line to prevent a late equaliser.

United then defeated Abingdon United at Rivermoor in the Berks & Bucks Senior Cup on Monday, winning 4-2 on penalties after the tie had ended 1-1.

They fell behind on the hour mark to a Kyle Moss header, but substitute Jake White hammered home the equaliser from 25 yards.

The tie went straight to penalty kicks with White, Ashley Ledger, Nicholls and Joe Barley all finding the net.

In the second round, Woodley will be away to Evo-Stik League South East Beaconsfield with the tie scheduled for next Monday evening (7.45pm).

This Saturday they return to Gloucestershire to face Tuffley Rovers (3pm).

  • HIGHMOOR Ibis lost 2-1 to Brimscombe & Thrupp at Rivermoor on Saturday in a Premier Division game where both sides squandered gilt-edged chances.

A minute after they had gone close, the hosts fell behind in the 77th minute when Karl Nash headed home and three minutes later Ollie Pitt scored the visitors’ second.

Highmoor continued to create chances and Dwayne Coultress pulled a goal back in stoppage time.

They remain 17th in the table ahead of their home game with Lydney this Saturday. Then on Monday (7.45pm ko) they host Bracknell in the Perpetual Press Floodlit Cup.

  • AFC ALDERMASTON were knocked out of the Berks & Bucks Senior Trophy by Reading YMCA, losing 6-5 on penalties after a 0-0 draw.

This Saturday, they return to Hellenic Division One East action at unbeaten Penn & Tylers Green.