THE Thames Valley League Representative XI reached the second round of the FA Inter-league Cup with a 3-2 victory against the Spartan South Midland XI at Rivermoor, writes Richard Ashton.

The home side took an early advantage when Newbury’s Carl Jenner reacted quickest to a free-kick delivered by Reading YMCA man Dan Donegan.

Spartans levelled midway through the half, but shortly before the break the TVL went back in front with the goal of the game.

A Donegan pass picked out Liam Bushay on the left, and he laid a perfect pass into the feet of the advancing Jamie Hardie who took the ball in his stride before hammering home.

Bushay’s header two minutes after the break was chalked off for off side, but it was the away team who levelled on the hour mark.

TVL began to take a stranglehold on the game, though, with Bushay and Jamie Piercy both going close before another Donegan set-piece was nodded home by Jenner to make it 3-2.

Chances came and went at both ends, but the home side’s defence – magnificently marshalled by man-of-the-match Jenner – held firm and ensured their side reached the last 16.

In the Berks & Bucks Senior Cup, Cookham Dean were thrashed 7-0 at Penn & Tylers Green, while Reading YMCA Rapids advanced in the Intermediate Cup with a 3-1 home win against Harwell Village. Martin Abery scored twice, with the other goal coming courtesy of a superb Michael Holder free-kick.

Harchester Hawks eliminated Taplow United Reserves 4-0, AFC Corinthians lost 2-0 to Ardington & Lockinge Sports, and Maidenhead Town Reserves progressed 4-3 on penalties following a 1-1 draw with Brimpton Athletic.

Steve Newell scored for Maids, with Matthew Foreman replying for the away side.

Noah Hodge got on the scoresheet for Hurst Reserves, but they were dumped out 3-1 on penalties by Woodley United A. The two sides had drawn 1-1 in normal time before again sharing the spoils in extra time, by which time it was 2-2.

In the Oxfordshire Intermediate Cup, Woodcote Stoke Row Reserves were grateful to a Ryan Corbett hat-trick as they knocked out Yarnton Reserves 6-4 after extra time.

The outstanding Ollie Chapman put visiting WSR in front when he finished from a tight angle on 22 minutes, and Mike Davies doubled the lead shortly after when he followed up his own shot which the keeper could only parry.

Yarnton fought back in the second half, however, cutting the deficit early on and then forcing extra time with an 80th-minute equaliser.

WSR regained the lead in the fourth minute of extra time when Corbett’s cross was turned home by Davies, but Yarnton again hit back to level.

Corbett then scored on the stroke of half time in extra time, and his second looked to have made the game safe at 5-3 for the visitors.

Yarnton kept the pressure on by halving the deficit, but Corbett completed a wonderful hat-trick to ensure his side prevailed at the end of a breathless encounter.

Henley Town Reserves were knocked out, though, falling to a 4-2 reverse at Marston Saints Reserves.

Substitute Seamus Stapleton scored twice to fire Taplow United A past Hurst A 4-3 in the Berkshire Trophy Centre Junior Cup.

Bhurinder Bhangoo and Michael Fountain were also on target for the home side, while the Hurst goals came from Jamie Grainger, Peter Jones and Eddie Prove.

A wonderful Chris Searle performance ended with him scoring all four goals in Berks County Rovers’ 4-2 home win against Harchester Hawks Development.

Casey Warwick bagged a brace and Jake Fuller, James Atkinson and substitute Matthew Fox were also on the scoresheet as Mortimer eased to a 5-1 Premier Division victory at Woodley United Royals, Harrison Moore netting for the home side.

Mike Wilson grabbed a double for Wraysbury Village, who beat Wokingham & Emmbrook Reserves 3-1 thanks to another goal from Alfie Fairhall.

Aadil Ashgar’s 64th-minute strike lifted FC Imaan Lions to third in the Division One table as they beat Finchampstead 1-0, while Eldon Celtic overcame Frilsham & Yattendon 2-1.

Sam Angel and Dale Wright were the goalscorers as Maidenhead Town won 2-0 at Maidenhead Magpies, and substitute Aaron Williams got the only goal of the game as Hurst beat Richings Park 1-0.

Unbeaten Division Two leaders South Reading stay top of the table despite being held to a 4-4 draw at Mortimer Reserves. James Bozarth bagged a brace for the home side, with the other goals coming from Chris Ferdinand and Deshawn Whittaker.

A Connor Banks double and a Liam Kimpton effort helped Berks County Reserves return to winning ways with a 3-1 success at White Eagles.

Jamie Taylor and David Woodley got the goals as Goring United Reserves went top of Division Four following their 2-1 victory at Farnham Royal Mavericks. Taran Bansal replied for the home side.

Sam Evans netted for Maidenhead Town A, but they were thumped 4-1 at home by White Eagles Reserves, and Cintra Park Rovers drew 2-2 with AFC Corinthians A.