Reading have hit back at the Football Association in a scathing statement following news of the club being charged for breaching intermediary regulations. 

The club have been hit with a £200,000 fine and former CEO Nigel Howe will be suspended from the game for 12 months, as well as receiving a £5,000 fine, for issues with Michael Olise's agent in 2019.

Intermediary Glen Tweneboah denies all charges, however they were found proven and he has been fined £15,000 and suspended for six months from all football and football-related activity.

READ MORE: Reading fined and Nigel Howe suspended after agent breach

Reading Academy chief, Michael Gilkes, and Secretary Sue Hewett have also receives ticking offs.

The club say: "The Club would like to state publicly that it is extremely disappointed with the decision and with the fact that, in addition to charges against the Club, charges were brought against individual club officials who were acting to protect a valuable club asset and ultimately the best interests of Reading Football Club. 

"All clubs are extremely vulnerable to losing talented players that they have spent many years nurturing and developing. It remains a challenge to navigate and negotiate such deals in the best interests of the football club and these young players. On this one occasion, the Club’s conduct fell short of the high standards with which we usually operate, and the Club is committed to ensuring this will not happen again.

"Nigel, Sue and Michael, have each worked for and represented Reading FC in an exemplary fashion for over twenty years. There has been no prior history of offences, nor any since. The Club will continue offering the relevant support to the individuals concerned.

"The Club views these sanctions as excessive, in particular when considered in comparison to sanctions handed down in a previous case, which involved another professional football club and multiple breaches of The FA’s Intermediary Regulations over a ten year period. In our view, in that context, the treatment handed down to Reading Football Club, for a stand-alone, one-off incident seems exceptionally harsh.

"Further, the Club’s view is that it has been far from satisfactory that The FA investigation into this matter has been extremely protracted, with the single player negotiation in question occurring five years ago. The FA commenced its investigations a considerable amount of time after the conduct in question and the disciplinary charges were issued two years later. Now, some five years later, the matter has finally been heard and a decision issued.

"Despite the length of time this matter has taken, Reading Football Club and its staff members fully cooperated at all times with The FA’s investigation and conducted themselves properly and in a totally transparent manner throughout.

"The Club and the individuals involved are committed to ensuring that the conduct and situation that led to the charges is never repeated. All parties are now looking forward to having this matter behind them and continuing their tireless work for the benefit of our Club."