Reading manager Ruben Selles has admitted pre-season and contract discussions are underway but any confirmation will have to remain on hold until the ownership saga comes to an end.

Chinese businessman Dai Yongge is in exclusive negotiations with an unnamed party for the sale of the club and its assets, with a conclusion taking anything up to the end of May.

This has, to some extent, hampered any plans Selles had for setting the wheels in motion for early summer work on the squad due to unknowns with the budget.

However, the Spaniard has confirmed that many discussions have taken place with next season in mind for the club now that League One safety has been confirmed.

"With the takeover, we are not at a point where we can see where we are with new owners but we cannot have the same set-up as we had before," Selles said last week. "We are trying to organise the pre-season being at home and have some preparation matches around. In terms of the squad, we know what we want and how we want it. We have targets in the market but we have to wait for confirmation for the budget."

Multiple players, including the likes of Femi Azeez and Clinton Mola, are out of contract in the summer and are currently set to depart.

However,  things could change should the takeover be confirmed in the coming weeks.

"We have a plan and a strategy for next season," Selles continued. "We know what we want from the side we have right now that have been doing fantastically and we need to keep calm and move in that direction. Anything else would be a big mistake. Hopefully, it comes sooner than later or we will be in the same situation as last year not being able to sign the players we want.

"The later we get with the takeover, the more difficult it will be again. We have some players where we can extend the contract, as the club, so they have an extra year option if we do it but it is a situation where we cannot make the decision if we don’t know the budget. We just prepare everything and from the day we know and get the thumbs up then it will be their decision to continue with the project or maybe they want to go with something different."