Reading fired a blank on the field, drawing 0-0 with Burton Albion, but supporters certainly did not off the field as over 400 tennis balls were launched onto the pitch in protest against owner Dai Yongge.

In a match devoid of any real attacking threat, it marked the first draw under Ruben Selles and will only be remembered in the history books as the day supporters took yet more action against the negligent owner.

As supporters have become used to under Selles, the Royals started brightly out the traps. Some fast interplay on the right-hand side sent Femi Azeez clear into space behind the defence, only for the cross to be deflected away from the onrushing Kelvin Ehibhatiomhan at the back post and away for a corner. In a half devoid of much creativity, it took another five minutes for a rumbling of a chance for either side, this time Joe Powell firing high and wide as a ball fell kindly for the Brewer on the edge of the box. Entering a lull, the star of the show was the supporters.

The 16th minute, representing the number of points deducted under the stewardship of Dai Yongge, was met with a barrage of over 400 tennis balls and chants for the owner to sell from all four corners of the SCL Stadium. In the final home game, a 2-1 win over Bolton Wanderers, the play was stopped for under two minutes as more than 200 balls were cleared from the field. The players, who were taken down the tunnel as the balls rained down, returned after a whopping 10-minute stoppage and returned to a hero's reception onto the field from 14,000-strong home supporters. Unfortunately, the fan demonstration was to remain the most exciting period of the half, with Ehibhatiomhan’s close-range header and Charlie Savage’s curled effort the nearest the Royals came to hitting the target in a period starved of attacking quality. There was to be another long delay at the end of the half, leading to the clock saying 60 minutes before the referee blew the whistle, as Tom McIntyre collided with a Burton attacker and needed substituting for a head injury.

Reading were much better in the second half, but the forward line still was not linking up as effectively as they have done at times this season. Ehibhatiomhan had a host of chances in and around the penalty box, usually earned following some clever footwork or strong hold-up play. Azeez should have found the net himself, twice denied by the glove of Crocombe from close range.

The introduction of Dom Ballard and Paul Mukariu added some attacking verve in the final 20 minutes, both buzzing around and looking to make something happen, but it appeared to be one of those days where the ball would not drop in the goal. Ballard came close after connecting with Tyler Bindon’s cross, while Matt Carson had two or three sumptuous crosses which narrowly evaded attackers in the box. Wing tried his luck from distance in the final minute, bouncing awkwardly and testing Crocombe, but the bounce failed to reach the onrushing forward- summing up the afternoon in front of goal. The final few minutes ebbed away as Dino Maamrina’s side took the point and ran, content with a draw against a side also in the relegation zone.

Now in the heat of the League One campaign, Reading- and over 1200 supporters- travel to Northampton Town on Tuesday evening looking to make it 17th time lucky on the road.