Former Reading winger Garath McCleary celebrated his 500th professional career appearance in Wycombe Wanderers' 2-0 defeat to Shrewsbury Town.

270 of those came in his eight-year spell with the Royals from 2012 until 2020.

From battling relegation to League One to an FA Cup semi-final, the 35-year-old saw a lot in his time in Berkshire.

Take a look at three of his best moments below.

1. QPR 2013/14

Playing 37 times in his debut season as the Royals were relegated from the Premier League, the former Nottingham Forest midfielder enjoyed a much more prolific season in the Championship.

QPR came down alongside Reading, making the two clashes extra spicy and both on Sky Sports.

Almost 22,000 were at the SCL Stadium for the first meeting in November, with McCleary scoring a long-range goal to put the hosts in the lead before Joey Barton levelled the scores.

However, it was the reverse fixture that put McCleary in the limelight.

Leading 2-1, the winger drove from the halfway line, unleashed some stepovers before sending a piledriver into the top corner to secure a 3-1 win.

2. Burnley 2013/14

Fast-forward three months and the Royals were in a showdown with Brighton over the final play-off place.

Hosting already promoted Burnley, McCleary watched a ball drop out of the sky before volleying past Tom Heaton to level the score at 2-2.

Enough to qualify for the play-offs when the final whistle went, some of the 23,000 in attendance spilled onto the pitch to celebrate.

However, Leonadro Ulloa netted a stoppage time winner for the Seagulls at Nottingham Forest to pip Nigel Adkins' men to sixth spot.

3. Arsenal 2014/15

A long slog of a season in the league, finishing 19th under Steve Clarke, the FA Cup caught fans attentions as the side kept ticking along into the latter stages.

After narrow wins over Huddersfield Town, Cardiff City and Derby County, Reading found themselves in a quarter-final with League Two Bradford City.

A scrappy 0-0 draw at Valley Parade, over 22,000 packed in for the replay against Phil Parkinson's men.

Hal Robson Kanu and McCleary found the net within 10 minutes and Felipe Morais was sent off for the visitors before the break, before Jamie Mackie sealed the win with 20 minutes to go.

Cue a mad scramble for tickets as over 30,000 Royals went to Wembley for the club's first semi-final since 1927.

Holding their own throughout, Alexis Sanchez put the Gunners in the lead before half-time, but McClearty managed to scramble the ball over the line to equalise shortly after the break.

Taking the match all the way, Sanchez' tame shot squirmed through Adam Federici's legs in extra-time to break Royal hearts.