RAMS moved up to third in the National One table following a dramatic 40-38 success at Cinderford, writes Alex Pitfield.

The visitors began briskly with an early try from Andrew Humberstone in the fifth minute.

Fly-half Alex Seers kicked a penalty to the corner and the away pack constructed a trade-mark rolling maul off the line-out, which led to scrum-half Ollie Cole popping the ball up to Humberstone who stretched over the line to dot down, Seers adding the extras. Cinderford came fighting back with a try from flanker Mat Gilbert after a pick-and-go off the back of a ruck,fly-half Paul Morgan adding the extras to make it 7-7.

The visitors responded 15 minutes later when flanker Josh Collis aggressively turned the ball over in midfield to regain possession for Rams. Cole nipped through a gap in the opposing defence to find himself in a two-on-one with wing Conor Corrigan, and he side-stepped the defender and off-loaded to the flying Corrigan who sprinted in unopposed for Rams' second try of the afternoon. Seers was again successful with his conversion to put his side seven points in front.

Shortly after, Rams earned themselves a line-out 10 metres short of the Cinderford try line.

The subsequent rolling maul saw Jack Steadman take the opportunity to score his first try of the season, and two minutes before half-time, Rams found themselves in the same position with a similar outcome, however, this time Tom Vooght was the man to bundle over the whitewash for his 12th of the campaign.

Seers’ clinical right boot again added the extras, but on the brink of half-time the hosts rallied.

Rams gave away a cynical penalty which enabled Cinderford to kick for the corner, and after several close carries by the home pack, the ball was shipped out to Terence Babarinsa and the powerful centre stepped his way through the Rams defence and scored under the posts. Morgan failed to convert and Rams jogged in at half time with a 26-12 lead.

The second half began with a quick score for Cinderford, numerous phases allowed hooker Sam Baker to score a well-deserved try.

Rams responded through Corrigan, though.

A beautiful break on the right wing saw the speedster in a one-on-one with full back Edward Sheldon.

Corrigan chipped the ball over the defender’s head and regathered the ball to slide under the posts, Seers once again adding the extras.

The hosts responded instantaneously with an unconverted try from outside centre Jack Reeves, but Connor Hayhow, substituting for an injured Stevie Bryant, squeezed his way over the line for his ninth try of this campaign to give Rams a 16-point lead heading into the final quarter.

Cinderford fought their way back with two well-worked tries from No. 8 George Evans, both converted by Morgan, but in a nail-biting finish, Rams held on for victory.

Rams Director of Rugby, Seb Reynolds, was delighted with the win, but paid tribute to both sides.

He commented: “I thought both teams put on a great display of rugby in difficult and wet conditions, so spectators got their money’s worth in a 12-try bonanza.

“Cinderford are a proud and tough club which epitomise everything good about rugby in Gloucestershire and the Forest of Dean specifically – they give you nothing and they play for the shirt, so you have to fight for 80 minutes if you want to get anything from the game.”