James Earnshaw gives his verdict after Reading's dramatic 1-1 draw with Nottingham Forest on Saturday.

Wow. How do I write about this game?

A game that looked set for a goalless draw burst into life in stoppage time as Reading and Nottingham Forest drew 1-1.

The away team definitely had the better of the first half, creating numerous chances to go one up as Reading appeared half-asleep.

But whatever Mark Bowen said at half-time worked; because the side came out completely different and Reading dominated the second half.

Fast out of the traps, the Royals came desperately close to breaking the deadlock ten minutes into the half as Tyler Blackett cut in and saw his curling shot hit the inside of Brice Samba’s post.

Reading continued to push to find an opener but it was almost former Royal Lewis Grabban who notched first.

Grabban, a striker who joined on loan in the 2016/17 season under Jaap Stam, won the battle with Michael Morrison and found himself bearing down on Rafael guarding the Reading net.

Thankfully the Brazilian, who went into the game off the back of four successive clean sheets, managed to force the attacker wide and the resulting shot lacked any real power so was easily dealt with by Liam Moore on the line.

The rest of the half consisted of time-wasting and petulance as neither side wanted to go away empty handed.

As a result of this, and a series of stoppages for injuries, the fourth official indicated there was to be five minutes of additional time.

The clock ticked into the sixth minute as the Tricky Trees won a controversial corner and swung the ball in.

As the ball was going out, or possibly did go out, it was put back into the box and Forest captain Ben Watson rifled a volley past a helpless Rafael.


Reading took the centre and most expected the referee to blow for full time, but incredibly play went on and it fell the Jordan Obita on the left.

He whipped a low and dangerous ball into the box and defender Tobias Figueiredo put the ball past his own keeper.


Cue delirium and some amazing scenes from those who stayed until the bitter end and were duly rewarded with what will no doubt be one of the moments of the year ahead.

Overall a point was very much a fair result and I do not think either team can really complain about the score.

The first half performance was certainly not the best, and may be slightly worrying as the side could have found themselves two or three behind by half time.

But the grit and determination showed by the team was brilliant, especially the ability to react at half-time to a subpar performance and to go out and put it right in the second half.

To go head to head with a strong play-off side will stand them in good stead considering the next eight matches are all against top half clubs.

So bring it on, a crucial period in the season and one which will make or break the play-off push!