READING RFC chalked up another big win on their first-ever league visit to Didcot, scoring six tries in a 41-14 mauling which continued their superb Southern Counties North form.

Reading have now won their last four games and have scored 188 points in winning the last three.

Only top team Witney have scored more points than Reading’s 267 points in nine games, although the score did not really reflect the overall game as Didcot looked a useful side and played some good rugby.

Indeed, although Reading managed three first half tries for a 19-0 lead, the home side were always threatening and came back in the first 10 minutes of the second half with two tries to reduce the lead to 19-14.

This proved a turning point in the game as Reading went back to their game plan and, after Alex Dorliac kicked a penalty, Reading came away with three late tries to chalk up the win.

The home team were handicapped during this period from a yellow card unnecessarily earned by one of their forwards.

Early play saw the home team take the initiative, but Reading’s defence was sound and they gradually began to get on top.

Fifteen minutes had gone when front-rower Steve King forced his way over for a try.

Didcot continued to threaten, but Reading held out against the pile-driving runs of their forwards and two late first-half tries, one from the ever dangerous Grant Spears and the other from the industrious Alex Jones, both converted by Dorliac, put them comfortably ahead, 19-0, at half-time.

Didcot responded with two converted tries in the first 10 minutes of the second half as Reading gave away needless penalties.

The first try came from a Reading attack, their full-back racing away after an interception, and the second followed a succession of penalties capitalised on by a team very much back in the game.

Reading went back to basics as Dorliac kicked a 65th-minute penalty.

The visitors still gave themselves trouble by conceding penalties and it took some very good defence to keep out Didcot attacks before, with seven minutes left, some good running and backing up saw wing Stuart Borthwick cross and touch down under the posts for Dorliac’s conversion.

Four minutes later, a now tiring home side conceded another try when No. 8 Rob Cunningham finished off a move which began with a penetrating run from Borthwick.

Just before the final whistle a good run by King opened the way for wing Chris Greig to add yet another try to his tally and Dorliac’s conversion finished the game.

Coach Ben Wills was pleased after the game, though disappointed with the penalty count.

He said: “The key moment was when they came back to 19-14. We didn’t panic but re-focussed and got back to the game plan. We have beaten a good side and must be happy with the nature of the win.”

Reading host High Wycombe on Saturday.