READING City enjoyed a productive week with a brace of victories inside four days lifting them to fifth in the Premier Division table, writes Nick Bird.

The Citizens collected a hard-fought 2-1 win at home to Lydney on Saturday, starting strongly as Matt Stockhill had an early 20-yard effort well saved before an Adam Cashin-Murray shot was blocked.

Stockhill was again denied before Cashin-Murray struck the side netting, but the sides went into the interval goalless.

It came completely against the run of play when the visitors took the lead early in the second half, City goalkeeper Charlie York adjudged to have brought down a Lydney player in the box and Ross Gabrield con verting from the spot.

However, the lead only lasted about a minute as McKoy Palmer gave the home side the goal they had been looking for all game.

Stockill crossed from deep on the right side, the ball went past Kai Stubbs-Alleyne and on to Devonn Reid, who played a short pass back to Palmer.

He chopped back inside, brought the ball down and took one of the defenders out of the game, before calmly opening up his body to put a right-footed shot across goal into the bottom right corner.

Josh Blackwood was unlucky not to put the hosts in front soon after as he dribbled out of defence and was not closed down, and after he played a quick one-two with Palmer he hit the ball first time and was only denied by the post.

Lydney almost went back in front from a free-kick, but it was City who took a decisive lead when Stockhill collected a beautiful pass from Stubbs-Alleyne and fired an unstoppable shot home via the underside of the crossbar.

City could have added a third when Cashin-Murray was smartly denied, but they held on to secure an impressive victory.

City went on to thump Virginia Water 4-0 on Tuesday night.

Simon Johnson's side host Holyport in the Bluefin Sports Challenge Cup on Monday night (7.45pm).

In Division One East, there was double disappointment for Woodley United as they went down 3-2 to Chalvey Sports on Saturday before going down 4-3 at Langley.

An own goal and a Sam Guze strike had the Kestrels in command at 2-0 up, but goals from Richard Jeffrey and Oscar Betts levelled matters at the break before Jason Marney struck with the match-winning goal two minutes into the second half.

On Tuesday, Langley went in front before Gareth Ainsworth equalised, Max Laschok then putting the visitors in front on 27 minutes.

Langley hit back to lead 3-2, only for Ainsworth to again draw his side level, but an 88th-minute winner gave the hosts all three points.