WOODLEY United crashed out of the FA Vase following a 3-0 defeat at home to Malmesbury Victoria on Saturday.

The game was due to be played at Malmesbury, but with the pitch unavailable, it was agreed to switch the tie to Rivermoor – although it did not benefit the Kestrels.

After an uneventful opening 10 minutes which saw the weather worsen and little goalmouth action, Victoria took the lead under controversial circumstances when Andy Baker netted after United cheaply gave up possession.

With the lineswoman’s flag up, the ref seemed to initially rule out the goal; however, after further consultation with his assistant, the goal was given.

Looking for a reply, Sam Guze missed from distance before Woodley’s afternoon worsened when Pele Hagger was shown a straight red card for a reckless challenge which later saw the Malmesbury player go off injured.

Despite the numbers disadvantage, Woodley were at times playing some nice football.

A fantastic move which started on the right, deep in United territory, was worked to the left of the pitch and involved half the team before a Teddy Thomas shot was blocked.

Thomas was part of the next passage of play. Picking up a Guze pass, his low cross was cut out at the near post.

A final kick to the teeth for the Kestrels was delivered in stoppage time when Victoria doubled their lead.

Taking advantage of Woodley giving up the ball, Sam Parker cut back to Shane Bumphrey who found the top corner.

The first chances of the second period went to Malmesbury, who saw multiple shots well blocked, but Woodley then looked the better team.

However, chances for Guze, Sam Wood and substitute Harry Swabey came and went, and the game was put to bed with 10 minutes to go when Baker got his second with a well taken finish.

On Monday, Woodley shared the spoils in a 1-1 Division One East draw at AFC Aldermaston.

Ben Anderson gave the Kestrels a first-half lead, but Jamal Forde-Small equalised in the 78th minute.

Woodley United host Penn & Tylers Green on Saturday, while AFC Aldermaston are at home to Chalvey Sports.

In the Premier Division, Reading City suffered a first defeat of the season as they went down 3-1 at Flackwell Heath on Tuesday.

City visit Royal Wootton Bassett Town on Saturday before hosting Penn & Tylers Green in the Banbury Litho Floodlit Challenge Cup on Monday (7.45pm).