WOODLEY United exited the Hellenic League BlueFin Sports Challenge cup in dramatic fashion as they lost 7-6 on penalties at home to Windsor following a 2-2 draw.

Jake Sobalak gave the visitors a 16th-minute lead with a strike from 25 yards which would be contender for goal of the day in any competition.

United nearly equalised within a minute of the restart when Toby Briggs showed good work before his goal-bound shot was diverted off the goalline for a corner and then put wide from the resulting corner.

The equaliser came on the half hour when good play by Sam Guze set up Ed Thomas who calmly slotted the ball past Windsor’s Sonny Wheeler when one-on-one.

With the half-time score looking to be level, Woodley defender Conor Clarke was penalised in the 44th minute for handball when he turned sidewards, arm down to protect himself from a shot, but as the ball brushed his arm a penalty was awarded.

Facing Windsor’s Andy Ingram, man-of-the-match Adam Thomson dived to his left to push the kick away and then reacted quickest to smoother the ball to keep the score 1-1.

Woodley had an opportunity to take the lead on 59 minutes when Ben Okon fouled Thomas, but Wheeler dived to his left to deny Guze from the penalty spot and Freddie Barron but the rebound over the crossbar.

However, two minutes later Thomas did give the hosts the lead when he shot pass Wheeler following a good run and pass from Briggs.

With 17 minutes remaining Pele Hagger fouled Okon and received his second yellow card to leave the hosts to play the match out with 10 men.

A reorganisation of the defence saw Jon Malone drop into centre back and Bailey Hill move to Hagger’s left back position, and while Windsor pushed forwarded United looked secure until the 86th minute.

Windsor thought they had levelled only for the goal to be disallowed as Malone was adjudged to have handled the ball, which had deflected off his arm on the way into the net.

Thomson dived to his left pushing Adam Kirby’s kick beyond the upright only to be penalised for not being on his goal line. Kirby made no mistake with the retake to level the score at 2-2.

With no further goals and no extra time the tie was to be decided by penalty kicks.

Windsor won the toss to kick first and both teams scored on their opening attempt.

Thomson saved to his right to deny Windsor’s second with Wheeler doing likewise with United’s second kick.

Both teams scored on their third and fourth kicks and with Windsor converting their fifth it was left to Dave Stevens to score and force sudden death, which he just did with the ball trickling over the line despite Kirby getting a hand to it.

The penalty kick score was level at 4-4 which became five all despite Thomson getting a leg to Windsor’s sixth kick, but being unable to prevent the ball hitting the net.

Thomson saved Windsor’s seventh kick to his left only to be cautioned for his celebration while United’s seventh rebounded off the upright to leave it 5-5.

Both teams scored a sixth penalty resulting in a ninth kick being required. Windsor converted theirs with Wheeler saving to his right to give the visitors victory.