READING City enjoyed a goal feast in the Bluefin Sports (UHL) Cup, thrashing Taplow United 10-0 last Saturday with what manager Simon Johnson described as a "ruthless performance."

From early on in this second-round tie, it was just a matter of how many goals the Premier Division side would stack up against their Division Two South hosts, who were playing their first competitive game of the season.

Dan Davies opened the floodgates in the ninth minute when he headed home after Khalid Simmo's effort had come back off the crossbar.

Five minutes later City doubled their lead through Matt Stockill, but were then unable to increase it until the last five minutes of the half when Mo Davies and Fergus Burton found the net to make it 4-0 at the interval.

Johnson's men flew out of the blocks in the second half and it took them five minutes to add to their tally through Simmo before Stockill netted City's sixth on the hour mark, with Burton bagging another two minutes later.

Stockill completed his hat-trick in the 66th minute and Jerry Foumboua came off the bench to score in the 72nd and 74th minutes.

"It was good to see six different players getting the goals," said Johnson.

City now turn their attentions to their FA Cup preliminary round tie against Southern League Division One South side Moneyfields this coming Saturday.

They were drawn at home, but Rivermoor Stadium is not available due to the club's long-term agreement of permitting the ground to be used for Reading Festival purposes over August Bank Holiday weekend.

City tried hard to find an alternative local venue - with Henley Town a possibility – but could not agree one with their opponents and so the tie will now be played at the Moneyfields ground in Portsmouth, a decision that has left the club disappointed.

On Monday (3pm) they make the short trip to Binfield, who are also unbeaten in the league, providing neither side is involved in an FA Cup replay.

AFC Aldermaston went out of the Bluefin Sports (UHL) Cup at the hands of Division One South newcomers Hazlemere Sports on Saturday.

The tie at Prestwood ended 2-2 after extra time before the hosts went on to win 4-2 on penalties in what was their first competitive game of the season.

The Atom Men, whose side included new signing Charlie Tuttle, previously with Binfied, scored through Richard Bennett, while Michael Benning bagged a brace for Hazlemere.