READING City have got off to a flying start in the Hellenic League by winning both of their opening Premier Division games at Rivermoor Stadium.

They came from behind to defeat Shrivenham 3-1 on Saturday and followed up with a 1-0 success against Burnham on Monday evening.

Manager Simon Johnson says it is the players' reward for all the hard work they put in during pre-season.

But City didn't get off to the best of starts, as there were only five minutes on the clock when the defence failed to clear a free-kick and the ball fell nicely for Shrivenham's Antonio Gerrish to fire past keeper Charlie York.

It could have got worse with the visitors having two appeals for a penalty turned down by referee Gifford Manyange.

However, City started to work their way into the game and were only denied a first-half equaliser by goalie Mike Alexander and he continued in good form after half-time.

But their grit and desire eventually brought reward for the hosts although it did need a penalty, awarded for holding in the area, to bring City level in the 71st minute, with Devonn Reid making no mistake from the spot.

This equaliser gave Johnson's men a boost and they took the lead in the 84th minute when the outstanding Khalid Simmo cut inside from the left and found the bottom corner of the net. And it was man-of-the-match Simmo who set up the third goal for Mo Davies in the second minute of time added on.

City followed up by beating promoted Burnham 1-0 on Monday with skipper Josh Blackwood netting the winner three minutes before half-time.

This Saturday, they are in FA Cup action with an extra preliminary round tie at Premier Division rivals Windsor, who have lost both of their opening games without scoring and whose manager, Mick Woodham, stepped down on Tuesday.

Then City return to Hellenic League action next Tuesday with a trip to Holmer Green.

WOODLEY United launched their campaign with a 4-2 win over Langley in the Bluefin Sports Cup at Summerleaze on Tuesday evening.

Boosted by a good pre-season, they started confidently and were two goals ahead by half-time.

The first came on 17 minutes when Max Laschok's shot came back off the post and ricocheted off a Langley player into the net.

Sam Guze, who was involved in the move which led to the goal, netted the second himself with 36 minutes gone after wrong-footing the keeper.

United made it 3-0 in the 69th minute when a long kick from keeper Adam Thomson was headed on to Laschok, who coolly netted from the left side of the area.

Seven minutes later, league newcomers Langley pulled a goal back through Dan Sharp, his shot flying into the net off the angle of bar and post in the right corner.

With 11 minutes left Woodley sealed the win when Harry Swabey took a return pass from Laschok and netted from 15 yards.

Jahdd Thomas netted a late second for Langley with a powerful shot from 25 yards that went in off the post.

The Kestrels start their Division One East fixtures with two games at Rivermoor Stadium, hosting Abingdon Town on Saturday and newcomers Marlow United on Monday (7.45pm).

AFC Aldermaston's opening Division One East game ended in a 1-1 draw at Wallingford Town on Tuesday.

An Ashley Searle penalty put the hosts ahead just before the half-hour mark, but the Atom Men were level by half-time with Lorenzo Medford heading home a Jamie Piercey cross from the left.

They nearly scored again, with Jahson Downes striking the bar from 30 yards.

Aldermaston are back in action tomorrow evening (Friday, 7.45pm) when they become the first side to play Wokingham & Emmbrook since floodlights and a stand were installed at the Emmbrook Sports and Social Club ground in Lowther Road.

The Atom Men are then away to Holyport at Summerleaze Village next Tuesday (7.45pm).