READING City have three games left in which to get the three points they believe will help them avoid relegation, writes Dave Wright.

And should they miss their target by one point then they will look back on last Monday's 2-1 defeat by a Shrivenham side who arrived at Rivermoor Stadium boasting an unbeaten 15-match run.

City missed a penalty and claim they should have had another late in the game, whilst also claiming the free-kick that brought the visitors' their opening goal should not have been awarded.

"The big decisions went against us," bemoaned manager Simon Johnson.

"When you are in the position we are, you need a few things to go in your favour, but that is not happening.

"Not taking our chances is also not helping us at the moment."

With City defending well but not creating much up front, the first half looked like ending goalless.

But that was until Shrivenham were awarded a free-kick 25 yards out which Tom Ballard superbly curled into the top left corner.

"It was never a free-kick, as there didn't look any contact between players," argued Johnson.

City fell further behind five minutes into the second half when they failed to stop Lewis Petrie cutting into the area on their right flank and he was able to slot past keeper Charlie York from an angle.

The hosts had a great chance to pull a goal back when Riccardo Andrady was brought down, but Trevor Mutero's spot kick not only flew high over the crossbar but the roof of the stand as well.

Then late in the game, Dan Davies appeared to be knocked off balance as he raced into the area, only for the referee to wave play on.

"It looked a penalty to me," said Johnson.

City finished strongly and had their opponents, who climb to fourth in the table, hanging on at the end.

The manager added: "The boys put in a lot of effort and deserved to take a point out of the game."

City stay third from bottom of the Premier Division standings, but Johnson believes a win in their three remaining games - two of which are against tailenders Longlevens - could be enough to avoid the drop.

Their next match is a week on Saturday, April 6 when they travel to Bishops Cleeve.

In Division 1 East, AFC Aldermaston won 1-0 at Didcot Town Development thanks to a very late goal from Lemar Maycock.

Unbeaten in eight league games, they remain second in the table, 10 points behind runaway leaders Burnham with two games in hand.

This coming Saturday, the Atom Men host Wokingham & Emmbrook and next Tuesday (7.45pm ko) travel to Slough's Arbour Park to face Chalvey Sports.