SIMON Johnson lost his first game since taking over as team manager of Reading City, but he was pleased with the general performance of his much-changed side, writes Dave Wright.

“I was disappointed with the end result, but this team were playing together for the first time and I could not be happier with them,” he said following their 3-2 Premier Division defeat by Binfield at Rivermoor Stadium on Monday night.

City, having come from a goal down, were 2-1 ahead with a little over 10 minutes remaining, but then conceded two goals in quick succession.

“In the end, I think naivety cost us against an experienced side,” commented Johnson, who took over when Rob Creech stood down last week.

“We took our chances well and defended well for large parts of the game, but silly mistakes and switching off for short moments cost us in the end. For us to move on, we will need to cut out those errors.”

With their John Madejski Academy players not available, Johnson acted quickly by strengthening his squad with Kamran Khan, Dan Davies, Sukhbir Hunjan and Matt Deadfield all making their debuts.

“They all did well, with Matt (ex-Fleet Town) having a particularly good game at left-back,” commented the manager, who is looking to bring in a couple more new faces to make his squad more competitive.

The Scours Lane club had done well to get the pitch playable as a lot more rain had fallen since Saturday when they were forced to call off their match with Abingdon Town.

Former Woodley United player Danny Horscroft marked his return to Rivermoor Stadium by giving Binfield a 13th-minute lead, shortly after keeper Matt Carr had pulled off a good block when faced by Jemel Johnson in a one-on-one situation.

City, missing skipper Adam Cashin-Murray due to a one-match ban, trailed for only six minutes with Rhys York seeing his deflected effort loop over keeper Chris Grace.

And within a minute they were ahead, Ben Cook firing home a superb shot which Grace had no chance of stopping.

As the first half wore on, City were made to defend more and that continued in the second half. Shortly after the resumption, they conceded a penalty, but Carr easily smothered Josh Howell’s spot-kick along the ground.

They were penned in their own half, but defended resolutely, keeping as many players as possible behind the ball and as the game approached the last 10 minutes, it looked as if the hosts would keep the Moles at bay.

But then the defence failed to pick up Johnson at a cross and he headed in the equaliser.

City’s hopes of holding out for a draw ended when Carr pulled down Eddie Lee and this time the keeper was given no chance from the penalty spot with Howell blasting the ball high into the net.

Their fifth straight league defeat leaves Reading 15th in the table ahead of this Saturday’s trip to Windsor’s Stag Meadow to face Virginia Water, the side immediately above them in the table on goal difference.

TEDDY Thomas scored a late consolation as Woodley United were thumped 5-1 by Division One East leaders Burnham.

Dean Allen and Oliver Harris both bagged braces for the hosts, with Aiden Higgs getting the other.

Woodley United host Abingdon Town on Saturday (3pm), before welcoming Ardley United to Rivermoor in the Reading Senior Cup next Tuesday (7.45pm).

AFC Aldermaston conceded their Bluefin Sports Challenge Cup game at Cheltenham Saracens on Saturday.

They host Wokingham & Emmbrook in Division One East this Saturday, and visit Thornbury Town in the Perpetua Press Floodlit Cup next Tuesday (7.45pm).