HALLOWEEN came early as Woodley United Ladies put in a horror show of their own in losing 9-3 at Winchester City Flyers in the first round of the Southern Region League Cup.

The hosts struck in the seventh and eighth minutes through Francesca Thornton and Beth Norman and never looked back as they had doubled their advantage by the 21st minute with Kirtsy Bell, from outside the penalty area, and Norman adding further goals.

United rallied with Rosie Page-Smith seeing Lauren Higgs twice denying the Woodley forward and Maddie Sawyer shooting wide.

With Katie Beecraft scoring direct from a corner and Bell adding a second from distance, the hosts went into the half-time break 6-0 ahead.

A change of formation saw the visitors start the second half in positive manner and they were rewarded with Page-Smith scoring two minutes into the half.

However, Sarah Lawrence was punished for a foul in the penalty area to allow Charlotte Warhurst to restore the six-goal advantage from the penalty spot on 55 minutes, which was followed by Payton Howard scoring direct from a free-kick five minutes later.

United continued to rally with Thompson, Page-Smith and Sawyer all having good goal scoring opportunities before Page-Smith scored twice to complete her hat-trick.

The final goal came in the 80th minute when United were caught static after clearing a corner to allow Bryony Morrell to score after Nicole Haines had done well to keep the initial effort out.

Haines was to finish the game with two outstanding saves to keep the Flyer score in single figures.

AN injury-hit Barton Rovers produced an excellent display to overcome Warsash Wasps 3-1 in their League Cup preliminary round game.

Rovers were two goals up at half-time thanks to goals from Steph Nelson and Caitlin Levy, both assisted by Cheryl Williams, and early in the second half Rachel Allwright touched the ball on for Katie Dearling at the back post to make it three.

Warsash replied with a consolation, but a convincing Rovers held on to set up a first round tie away at New Milton.

LEANNE Saunders was Newbury's stand-out performer, but they were annihilated 9-0 at Oxford City in the first round of the League Cup.

The home side had the game won by half-time as they led 4-0, and added three goals in the final 20 minutes to add a further gloss to the scoreline.