READING FC ended their worst ever start to a season at home with a welcome victory against Hull City.

Royals had lost their first four Championship matches at Madejski Stadium going into today’s clash against Nigel Adkins’ Tigers.

But Sam Baldock’s early opener followed by second-half goals from Jon Dadi Bodvarsson and Andy Yiadom secured Royals’ first win on home soil since April, a first clean in the league and gave supporters some much-needed cheer.

The only disappointment was a late red card for John O’Shea for a cynical challenge on former Reading loanee Chris Martin.

But it could not spoil an otherwise encouraging display from Clement’s men and a victory that lifted them above Hull City and out of the relegation zone.

Clement’s bold decision to change almost half of his team was also vindicated, and those left out today must be wondering when their next opportunity will come.

This was Reading’s best performance of the campaign by some distance, and the total opposite of Wednesday’s insipid display in the home defeat to Norwich City.

Royals were sharper, faster and better all over the pitch from the first minute as they collected their second win in three games, and a vital one at that.

Adkins will feel the result was harsh on his Hull side, who had three goals ruled out during the 90 minutes – two for offside and one for handball.

But the ex-Royals boss can have no complaints about the end result on his return to Madejski Stadium.

Clement wielded the axe and made four changes from the team that lost to Norwich City.

New loan signing Saeid Ezatolahi was handed his debut while Josh Sims, O’Shea and Bodvarsson all came in.

And those to pay the price for Wednesday’s debacle were Chris Gunter, Sone Aluko, John Swift and Yakou Meite, who were all dropped to the bench.

Clement went with a four-man defence with Ilori moving to right back in place of Gunter, Yiadom on the left and Liam Moore and O’Shea in the middle.

Baldock moved to the left wing with Sims on the right, leaving Bodvarsson up front.

The Icelandic striker had a sniff at goal with less than two minutes on the clock, only to drag an effort wide.

But Clement’s men kept the momentum and opened the scoring a couple of minutes later.

Leandro Bacuna’s teasing cost was put behind for a corner by Eric Lichaj.

Ezatolahi’s header from Bacuna’s inch-perfect corner was saved by David Marshall at his near post, but Baldock pounced inside the six-yard box and fired the ball home.

It was a dream start for the Royals who went close to adding another in the ninth minute, but Bodvarsson directed a header over the bar from a Sims cross.

Tigers responded with their first chance when Jarrod Bowen shot wide from a difficult angle after Liam Kelly had coughed up possession.

But Royals were well on top. There was bags more energy, drive and no little skill in their play compared to Wednesday’s first-half horror show against the Canaries.

A brief lull in play followed, but it wasn’t long before Royals threatened again.

Ezatolahi got things going before Moore fed Baldock who slipped it to Bodvarsson whose shot deflected narrowly wide on the half-hour mark.

Moments later Marshall pulled off a stunning save to tip Bacuna’s blistering free-kick around the post for a corner.

Then from Bacuna’s expert flag-kick Bodvarsson saw a downward header cleared off the Hull City line.

Bacuna would have fancied his chances with a 20-yard free-kick after Bodvarsson had been hacked down, but the ex-Aston Villa man struck it into the visitors’ wall.

Hull were not having much luck either. Fraiser Campbell had already had a ‘goal’ scrubbed out for a clear offside midway through the first half.

Then Todd Kane had another disallowed for a marginal offside after Walker had pushed Bowen’s shot into his path before Irvine missed the target from close range when he should have done better.

The visitors also had a penalty appeal for handball turned down early in the second half by referee Jeremy Simpson as Yiadom put a cross behind for a corner.

And Ilori had to be at his very best to make a vital covering tackle and block Kane’s shot before Yiadom’s timely interception to nick the ball off Bowen inside the area thwarted a promising attack.

However, Royals quickly relieved the pressure by doubling their lead in the 70th minute.

Mo Barrow had only been on the pitch a matter of seconds when he linked up with Yiadom, who passed inside to Bodvarsson.

The Icelandic striker was afforded too much time and space to pick his spot from eight yards out for his fifth goal of the season.

Tigers hit back four minutes later, but Martin’s half volley was beaten away by Walker.

Then Sims drifted inside before curling an effort wide at the other end.

But Royals put the game to bed nine minutes from time thanks to Yiadom.

Bodvarsson ran at the Hull defence before teeing up the Royals left-back, who had time to spin and fire through a crowded goalmouth.

The drama was not over yet as Reading were reduced to 10 men in the 83rd minute when O’Shea saw red.

The ex-Manchester United defender hacked down Martin from behind just outside the area after the Hull striker had burst clear, and Simpson had little choice but to send him off as the last man.

But Hull’s bad fortune in front of goal continued as Kamil Grosicki’s free-kick deflected in off the wall, only for Simpson to rule it out for hitting a Hull player’s hand.

Reading, though, held on for a vital win that helped lift the gloom around the stadium.

Royals make the short trip to Brentford next Saturday (3pm).

Reading: Walker, Yiadom, O'Shea, Moore (c), Bacuna, Baldock (Barrow 69), Ilori, Bodvarsson, Sims, Ezatolahi, Kelly (Gunter 84). Subs not used: Jaakkola, Aluko, Meite, McNulty. Booked: O’Shea 58. Red card: O’Shea 83.

Hull: Marshall, Lichaj, Burke, Stewart (Martin 63), Irvine, Kane, Bowen (Grosicki 63), Henriksen, Kingsley, Campbell, Elphick. Subs not used: Long, De Wijs, Dicko, Toral, McKenzie. Booked: Campbell 33.

Referee: Jeremy Simpson.

Attendance: 12,409 (Hull 537).