CHARLIE Mulgrew scored two penalties as Blackburn Rovers came from two behind to deny Reading FC a first Championship win of the season.

Jon Dadi Bodvarsson scored twice in the opening 25 minutes to put Royals in a commanding position.

But Paul Clement's men shot themselves in the foot - not once but twice - by conceding two sloppy spot-kicks in the second half.

Paul McShane was the guilty party on both occasions, the first time taking out Elliott Bennett in front of referee Oliver Langford six minutes into the second half.

McShane compounded the issue by wiping out Rovers skipper Mulgrew at a late set-piece, allowing the Scotsman to beat Vito Mannone from the spot for the second time tonight.

Clement will be pleased with a first point of the season to end the club's worst start to a league campaign for 59 years.

But he will be fuming with the manner they threw away a priceless victory that could have kick-started the campaign.

Chances are McShane will also suffer a sleepless night on the coach home.

Clement's decision to drop Tiago Ilori and play McShane against Bolton on Saturday drew many criticisms.

On this evidence, he may be forced to recall the former Liverpool defender for Saturday's clash at Aston Villa.

Clement, once a coach at Rovers, made three changes from the side beaten by Bolton.

Sone Aluko returned from injury while Leandro Bacuna and Bodvarsson got the nod, with John Swift, Marc McNulty and Dave Meyler missing out.

Loan signing Josh Sims and fit-again Mo Barrow were also named on the bench.

Clement's men under the cosh from the off as Rovers burst out of the blocks.

Joe Rothwell drilled a shot against the bar then skied the rebound over in the sixth minute.

Four minutes later, Mannone had to fling himself to his left to keep out Alan Armstrong's 25-yarder at full stretch.

But Reading took the lead against that flow of attacks thanks to Bodvarsson's clever thinking.

Darragh Lenihan's back-header put David Raya in trouble allowing the Icelandic striker to nip in and hook the ball over the home keeper.

It was a goal Royals desperately needed, but things soon became even better when a second arrived on 25 minutes.

Tyler Blackett advanced down the left before picking out Yakou Meite with a pin-point cross.

Raya did well to save the Frenchman's shot, but Bodvarsson was there to sweep the loose ball home for a pecious two-goal lead.

It was a position Reading had not experienced for many, many months - and they showed their determination to hold on to the lead.

They were on the back foot as half-time approached, but McShane produced a crunching challenge on Bennett before defensive partner Liam Moore bravely blocked Rothwell's fierce follow up.

Mannone also made a routine save when collecting a Lenihan header on the stroke of half time, but Royals' tails were up as they sniffed a first victory.

Rover boss Tony Morbray needed a goal badly, and replaced Richard Smallwood with former Royals striker Dominic Samuel at the break, And the picture dramatically changed when Rovers' bright start to the second half brought a 51st minute penalty.

McShane wiped out Bennett under referee Oliver Langford's nose, and Mulgrew blasted the spot-kick beyond Mannone.

Panic stations for Royals? Not so. Clement's men remain calm and collected.

At the same time Mowbray was running out of options as Samuel limped off to become the latest of his attacking casualties.

However, Reading cracked from a routine corner as Rovers drew level with their second penalty of the game 14 minutes from time.

Andy Yiadom made an important block leading to a corner, but McShane was a guilty party once again as he hauled down Mulgrew.

Rovers' skipper dusted himself down before slotting past Mannone to draw the home side level.

Rovers almost went in front soon after when substitute Joe Nuttall sent a header onto the roof of Mannone's net.

But moment later Royals also went close, McNulty curling an effort agonisingly wide shortly after coming on.

Yet there was no grandstand finish for either side, though Reading will undoubtedly feel they should have returned home with more than a point.

This Saturday, Royals travel to Aston Villa who were held to a 2-2 home draw by Brentford tonight.

Blackburn: Rovers: Raya, Nyambe, Lenihan, Mulgrew, Bell, Evans, Smallwood (Samuel 46, Nuttall 73), Bennett, Rothwell, Armstrong (Conway 45), Graham. Subs not used: Leutwiler, Downing, Travis, Hart. Booked: Evans 85.

Reading: Reading: Mannone, Yiadom, McShane (c), Moore, Blackett, Bacuna, Kelly, Meite (Barrow 77), Aluko (Sims 63), Baldock (McNulty 84), Bodvarsson. Subs not used: Walker, O'Shea, Meyler, Swift.

Referee: Oliver Langford.

Attendance. 11,818 (Reading 247).