WOODLEY United were hit for six as table-toppers Highworth Town roared to a convincing 6-0 home win in the Premier Division on Saturday.

United got off to the worse possible start, conceding two goals in the opening six minutes and being three down after 18.

Playing down the slope, Highworth looked to get the ball forward quickly to their wide men who in turn delivered good balls into the United penalty area which saw Kieron Gleed head home the opening goal on two minutes and Jason Milhench adding the second.

Woodley’s only joy in this opening spell was Jaydyn Englefield beating Highworth’s full back, but his low cross was caught under the feet of Danny Horscroft and subsequently cleared.

The third goal came via a quick Highworth counter-attack following a Woodley free-kick deep in the home team’s own half, which led to Gleed adding his second.

Woodley refused to buckle after this start and to their credit played some good football but only once troubled home ‘keeper Josh Langley, who comfortably dealt with Adam Nditi’s shot.

However, it took a double save by Alex Reed from Milhence and subsequent Joe Barley clearance to prevent any further score prior to half time.

Haydon Richardson was introduced at half time and worked tirelessly up front looking to bring players into play which included finding Englefield whose cross evaded his teammates.

It was another Highworth cross on 59 minutes which saw Dan Drewett get between Barley and Pele Hagger to increase the home team’s lead.

Richardson had a shot blocked before another home counter-attack resulted in the ball being deflected off a Woodley defender for the fifth after 68 minutes.

Reed was called on to make another double save before good work between Richardson and Englefield set the tireless Horscroft up, only to see his effort blocked with 17 minutes remaining.

The scoring was completed on 83 minutes when Gleed completed his hat-trick following United losing possession in the Highworth half after a pass was intercepted.

Woodley United travel to Royal Wootton Bassett on Saturday (3pm), before visiting Thatcham Town in the Berks & Bucks Senior Cup next Tuesday (7.45pm).

  • ROCK bottom Highmoor Ibis suffered a pair of Premier Division defeats in the space of three days.

The Rivermoor side were beaten 3-1 at fellow strugglers Fairford Town on Saturday, before enduring a 3-0 home defeat to Abingdon United on Monday.

Against Fairford, Lee Smith scored both goals as the hosts went into the break 2-0 up.

Duke Cox gave Highmoor a sniff with a 70th-minute strike, but Jody Bevan scored late on to seal the points for Town.

In-form Abingdon also led at the interval through a Tom Butler effort, and second-half strikes from Jayce Olivero and Kyle Moss completed the victory.

Highmoor Ibis are at home to leaders Highworth Town on Saturday (3pm).

  • TOM Etheridge gave 10th-placed AFC Aldermaston the lead before they had to settle for a draw in their Hellenic League Division One East clash at Wallingford Town on Tuesday night.

AFC Aldermaston host Old Windsor in the Maidenhead Norfolkians Senior Cup on Saturday (3pm) before visiting Virginia Water in the league on Tuesday night (7.45pm).