ON a bitterly cold Saturday afternoon, Woodley United suffered a 1-0 Premier Division home defeat to fellow strugglers Fairford Town.

The visitors started the more lively and three times in the opening 15 minutes their captain Lee Smith was involved in the action which saw Alex Reed block an effort, Smith shoot over the cross-bar and a cross from him cleared by Idris Kamara.

United’s sole chance in this period saw Callum Samuel-Harman blaze a shot over the bar from close range following an Ashley Ledger free-kick.

The second 15-minute spell saw United in the ascendancy with Samuel-Harman and Jaydyn Englefield dangerous attacking on the flanks, but the closest Woodley came to scoring was to see Samuel-Harman narrowly fail to connect with an Englefield cross.

The ball was scrambled clear for a corner following another United free-kick and the lively Danny Horscroft did well to connect with another Englefield cross, though he could only put the ball over the bar.

Reed was called upon to save from Dan Bailey four minutes before half time, while in stoppage time Fairford keeper Ben Mitchell dived full length to push Kamara’s low drive around the post.

The returning Adam Nditi was an early second-half substitute for Woodley and his pass to Toby Briggs on the left wing allowed Briggs in turn to pass to Horscroft with the latter’s shot going wide on 58 minutes.

The visitors responded strongly with United conceding a number of free-kicks and corners, but in turn successfully defending the danger until the 67th minute when Smith received a cross from the right before taking a touch to drive it past Reed.

And while United had the majority of possession late on, their opponents held firm.

Woodley United – who visit table-toppers Highworth Town on Saturday (3pm) – previously lost 2-0 at Brackley Town Saints last Wednesday.

  • BASEMENT boys Highmoor Ibis return to Premier Division action at Fairford Town on Saturday (3pm), before hosting Abingdon United on Monday (7.45pm).
  • TOM Allison got the only goal of the game as AFC Aldermaston beat Chalfont Wasps 1-0 in Division One East on Saturday.

The Atom Men then followed that result up with an exciting 4-3 success at home to Milton United on Tuesday night, lifting them to 10th in the table.

The hosts fell behind early on, but Craig Masterson levelled in the 43rd minute only for Milton to strike again on the stroke of half time.

Masterson set up Callum Eaton to equalise five minutes into the second half, and man-of-the-match Masterson went on to complete his hat-trick in making it 4-2 before United scored a late consolation.

AFC Aldermaston visit Wallingford Town on Tuesday (7.45pm).