MARCUS Richardson has revealed why he quit as manager of Highmoor Ibis, writes Dave Wright.

“The job was becoming a bit too much of hard work and I was not enjoying it as much as I should have been,” he explained following his decision early this week.

“But I would like to place on record my gratitude to the club for giving me my first manager’s job.

“During the last three or so years we have had some good times, although a few bad times as well.” Highmoor are not enjoying the best of seasons so far, having lost two home games in the past week – 3-1 to Wantage on Saturday and 1-0 to Burnham on Monday evening.

They have collected only 10 points from 11 games, leaving them 15th in the Hellenic League Premier Division standings.

It was bottom club Burnham’s first league win of the season, but Richardson said the result had no bearing on his decision, revealing: “I had already made up my mind before the game.”

The former Football League striker was previously with Reading Town and Marlow before joining Highmoor as coach early in 2014.

“This club has a lot of potential with ambitions of playing at a higher level and probably needs freshening up by bringing in someone (manager) else,” said Richardson.

“They have a very talented squad of players and should be doing better.”

The 40-year-old player-manager had been almost continually hampered in his team selection due to a lack of commitment of players and unavailability.

“I can’t remember the last time I was able to field the same team for two games running,” he said.

Highmoor chairman Martin Law commented: “The board would like to thank Marcus for all his hard work and dedication.

“The club has come on leaps and bounds under his tenure. The board and I are hopeful Marcus will continue in a position within the club.”

Law said that Fabian Coultress, who has been Richardson’s No 2, will take charge of the team until a new management team is formed.

Highmoor took the lead on Saturday in the 23rd minute when Mitchell Parker’s cross was headed home by Sanchez Commock.

Parker continued to cause problems for the Wantage defence and Highmoor could easily have doubled their lead before half time.

They continued to have the better of the early second-half chances, but then the visitors started to turn the game.

Jack Dummell equalised on the hour with a 25-yard shot and four minutes later Steve Robertson flicked Ryan Markham’s corner past keeper Aaron Watkins.

Highmoor’s hopes of getting back in the game were not helped when Jamie Pithers was shown the yellow card for the second time.

And they conceded a third goal six minutes from time when Robertson headed home.

On Monday, Highmoor played for much of the game following an early red card of Zak Tull, who reacted to a challenge from an opponent.

But as Richardson commented: “Despite that we had plenty of chances to win the game.”

Burnham’s winner came just before half-time.

Highmoor are home to Windsor in the Bluefin Sports Hellenic League Cup on Saturday.