READING FC were floored by a late Millwall comeback as their winless run stretched to four Championship matches.

Dave Edwards' first Royals goal gave Jaap Stam's men a precious 73rd minute lead at the New Den.

But the visitors capitulated in the last 10 minutes when a brace from George Saville pinched all three points for the Lions.

It was harsh on Reading whose patience appeared to have been rewarded with Edwards' late breakthrough in a match of small margins.

But the result will only heap more pressure on Stam after Reading's worst start to the season since 2009 under Brendan Rodgers, scoring just eight times in their nine league fixtures and recording two wins.

Despite fans' criticism over team selection, Stam went without a recognised striker in his starting XI again.

In fact, no Reading player who started at New Den had found the net this season.

Saturday's hero Jon Dadi Bodvarsson was named among the subs as Stam stuck with a fluid attack of Garath McCleary, Sone Aluko and Roy Beerens.

Liam Kelly was also relegated to the bench in the one and only change as Tiago Ilori was given the nod.

Leandro Bacuna was also back in the squad following a training-ground knock that kept him out of Saturday's 1-1 home draw with Hull City.

But that was tempered by the absence of left-back Jordan Obita who picked up a worrying knee injury when clattering into the advertising hoardings last weekend.

Reading struggled to get going in a cagey opening and were grateful to see Byron Webster head straight at Vito Mannone from a Shaun Williams cross in the 11th minute.

Then five minutes later Royals came under pressure again, but a Williams effort was comfortably held by Mannone.

It took Stam's men until the 24th minute to create a genuine chance when Beerens tested Jordan Archer after smart work from Joey van den Berg.

And moments later a surging burst and cross from Chris Gunter was begging for a final touch that sadly never came.

At least Reading were threatening and they created another opening on the counter-attack in the 30th minute which ended with McCleary blazing wide from well outside the box.

But Millwall almost broke the deadlock six minutes later, Steve Morison shooting on the spin from 25-yards but narrowly wide of the target.

Royals swiftly hit back when Beerens met Gunter's cross on the full, but his effort deflected wide.

That meant Reading had failed to score in the first half of a league fixture for the ninth match in a row, despite seeing 59 per cent of the ball on this occasion.

There was little change immediately after the break, to the point where even Millwall fans began chanting 'Boring, boring, Reading'.

Every attack from the visitors appeared to flounder on the Lions defence with both sides lacking quality in the final third.

But Royals did grow in confidence and finally got their noses in front in the 73rd minute.

Aluko won a crucial corner then delivered the perfect ball into the box which Edwards met on the charge with a bullet header past Archer.

It was his first goal in a Royals shirt since his summer move from Wolves, but celebrations were cut short as Millwall levelled seven minutes later.

There was little sign of it coming, but Harris' men won a corner, Williams swung it in and Saville aimed a back-post header over Mannone's grasp.

And if that was harsh on Reading they conceded a second five minutes later.

The visitors failed to clear their lines properly and, when the ball dropped to Saville, he smacked an unstoppable half-volley past Mannone from the edge of the box.

To compound their frustration, Royals also saw a strong penalty appeal turned down in the dying seconds when Edwards claimed for a trip in Millwall area.

Reading, who remain 18th in the table, return to Madejski Stadium this Saturday when they host Norwich City (5.30pm ko).

Millwall: Archer, Hutchinson, Meredith, McLaughlin, Webster, Williams, Saville, O'Brien, Wallace (Cooper 89), Onyedinma (Ferguson 84), Morison. Subs not used: Craig, Thompson, Martin, Tunnicliffe, Twardek. Booked: Wallace 86.

Reading: Mannone, Gunter, Blackett (Clement 87), McShane (c), Moore, Ilori, Van den Berg, Edwards, Beerens, Aluko, McCleary (Bodvarsson 81). Subs not used: Jaakkola, Evans, Bacuna, Popa, Kelly.

Referee: Andy Madley.

Attendance: 10,399.