JON Dadi Bodvarsson came off the bench to grab his first Madejski Stadium goal and salvage a point for Reading FC in a 1-1 draw with Hull City.

Royals were heading for their fourth defeat of the Championship season after trailing to Fraizer Campbell’s 28th minute strike.

But Bodvarsson rescued Jaap Stam’s men four minutes from the end with a brilliant finish for his first home goal since his summer switch from Wolves.

How far it goes to appeasing Royals fans remains to be seen.

Stam was once again heavily criticised for naming a starting XI without a recognised striker and with Bodvarsson on the bench.

And until Bodvarsson came on with 14 minutes to go Reading rarely looked like scoring.

In fact, they could have been further behind at that point after Seb Larsson hit the bar in the second half.

Reading have now scored just seven goals in eight Championship fixtures and are languishing in 18th place – hardly the kind of start they anticipated after last season’s third-place finish.

And if they continue to struggle up front it is unlikely they will climb the table and put themselves back in promotion contention.

Reading Chronicle:

Reading skipper Paul McShane lined up against his former club.

Stam made one change from the side that drew 1-1 at Brentford a week ago, with Bodvarsson making way for Roy Beerens.

That meant Garath McCleary and Sone Aluko shared the responsibility up front.

Tigers, meanwhile named ex-Royals defender Michael Hector in their side, while captain Michael Dawson made his 100th appearance.

A cagey opening sparked to life in the seventh minute when Aluko’s effort was blocked in the Hull area as the Royals searched for an opening.

But it took until the 20th minute for the hosts to create their first genuine opportunity.

Beerens’ persistence paid off as he forced Fikayo Tomori to concede a corner.

Liam Kelly delivered it the back post, but an unmarked Liam Moore could only plant a powerful header straight into Allan McGregor’s hands.

Reading Chronicle:

Hull City celebrate Fraizer Campbell's first-half goal.

The visitors had offered little to that point, but they grabbed the lead in the 28th minute thanks to Campbell and some rank, bad Royals defending.

Larsson’s through-ball should have been cut out by Chris Gunter, but the Welshman missed the ball completely allowing Campbell to convert from 12 yards.

Stam’s men should have been back on level terms six minutes after Beerens burst past his marker and slid the ball into the path of Aluko arriving at the back post.

But the summer signing from Fulham missed the target as he slid while under pressure from Hector.

That just about summed up the first half for Reading. Despite almost 70% possession, they were devoid of ideas and lacked an attacking threat.

In fact, Stam’s men were lucky not to concede a second goal six minutes after the break.

The hosts gave away a free kick just outside the area and Larsson’s effort smacked against the crossbar with Vito Mannone routed to the spot.

Stam had seen enough and made a tactical change in the 51st minute by replacing Tyler Blackett with Obita.

But they were soon under the coach again and three minutes later Mannone showed sharp reflexes to claw Larsson’s deflected free-kick off the line.

Royals just couldn’t find any rhythm and struggled to break down a stubborn Hull defence.

Joey van den Berg wasted a rare chance when he blazed miles over the bar with 68 minutes gone.

Then eight minutes later the Dutchman won a corner with a shot that deflected behind.

Hull could only clear the danger as far as McCleary whose first-time effort from 25 yards whistled just wide of McGregor’s far post.

Reading Chronicle:

Liam Moore on the ball.

But the visitors regrouped and almost snatched a second in the closing stages as substitute Nouha Dicko forced a decent save from Mannone at his near post with six minutes to go.

Then a minute later Tomori ghosted past two Reading defenders before dragging an effort wide with only Mannone to beat.

At that point Reading looked to be heading for a certain defeat – until Bodvarsson struck four minutes from time.

The big Icelander collected a smart Aluko pass and, with the ball bouncing awkwardly, hit a low, dipping shot that flashed past McGregor and into the far corner.

Royals then went agonisingly close to nicking all three points at the very death when a corner was turned goalwards by Moore, only for McGregor to smother the ball on the line.

However, Stam was dealt another blow in the final minute when Obita crashed in to the hoardings and was stretchered off after the whistle had blown.

Reading are back in Championship action on Tuesday when they go to Millwall (7.45pm ko).

Reading: Mannone; Gunter (Bodvarsson 76), McShane (c), Moore, Blackett (Obita 51); van den Berg, Edwards, Kelly (Ilori 65); Beerens, McCleary, Aluko. Subs not used: Jaakkola, Evans, Swift, Clement.

Hull City: McGregor, Kingsley, Tomori, Dawson, Hector, Aina, Larsson (Toral 77), Irvine, Meyler, Bowen, Campbell (Dicko 65). Subs not used: Marshall, Mazuch, Diomande, Henriksen, Clark.

Referee: Stephen Martin.

Attendance: 15,749 (Hull 713).