READING FC suffered a second successive Championship loss on the road following tonight's defeat at Elland Road.

Royals have now conceded seven goals away from home without reply following their 5-0 hammering at Fulham in their previous away fixture.

Reading were second best all day in the calamity at Craven Cottage, but on this occasion they appeared capable of securing a result until Souleymane Doukara's injury-time penalty killed off all hope following a first-half opener from Chris Wood.

Yet questions will be asked of Jaap Stam's patient approach following the defeat in west Yorkshire.

That is not to suggest a clash against a club of Leeds United's stature going well under Garry Monk would be a walk in the park.

But Reading controlled 77% of the possession on the night and rarely troubled Rob Green in the Leeds goal.

Stam made one change from the side that defeated Sheffield Wednesday 2-1 at home on Saturday.

Liam Kelly was brought in for only his second league start in place of Jordan Obita, who picked up a suspected injury in training.

Leeds created the first opening when former Royals target Kemar Roofe blazed over from a decent position.

Stam's men weathered the early storm and only a last-ditch interception prevented Garath McCleary's pass from reaching Dominic Samuel with the goal at his mercy.

But the hosts broke the deadlock in the 19th minute through burly New Zealander Wood.

Hadi Sacko created havoc down the right and although he scuffed his shot, the ball rolled to Wood who finished with style from 10 yards out with Royals' defence all at sea.

Wood, however, was forced off just 14 minutes later after suffering a knock. It was a blow to Leeds, who rely heavily on the powerful frontman.

The same could be said of McCleary who was central to all of Reading's attacks, but the visitors failed to create a clear-cut chance for the remainder of the first half.

And when they did forge an opportunity from a dangerous position four minutes after the restart, Kelly slammed a free-kick into the Leeds wall.

Monk's men responded when Luke Ayling and Roofe both missed the target from long range.

As the game opened up, McCleary nodded wide from an accurate Roy Beerens cross just before the hour mark.

Once again Stam's men had enjoyed the lion's share of possession. But each pass across the back four and to goalkeeper Ali Al-Habsi was met with ironic cheers from the Leeds fans.

But the visitors almost silenced the home supporters in the 68th minute when Charlie Taylor lost the ball and an accurate pass from substitute Yann Kermorgant gave Beerens a sight at goal.

This time the Dutchman, fresh from his match-winning brace on Saturday, failed to find a way past Rob Green who made the vital save.

And ex-England stopper Green came to Leeds' rescue again in the 76th minute when he tipped away a Kermorgant bullet header from a McCleary flag-kick.

As the clock ticked down, Stam gambled by replacing George Evans with striker Yakou Meite with 12 minutes to go.

And when that didn't work he put on giant centre-back Jake Cooper with three minutes to go - and also threw him up front in more desperation than hope.

But all hope was lost when Leeds grabbed an injury-time second from the penalty spot after Chris Gunter tripped Taylor, despite the suspicion of handball in the build-up.

Nevertheless, Doukara slammed the ball past Al-Habsi to seal all three points for the hosts.

Royals held onto third place in the Championship table despite the defeat, though they are now only one point ahead of Huddersfield and two points in front of Leeds.

Reading face another long trip north this Saturday when they go to Blackburn Rovers (3pm ko).

Leeds United: Green, Ayling, Bartley, Jansson, Taylor, Vieira, Sacko, Roofe (Mowatt 70), Doukara, Dallas (Grimes 82), Wood (Bridcutt 33). Subs not used: Cooper, Silvestri, Berardi, Wilks. Booked: Ayling 49.

Reading: Al-Habsi, Gunter, Blackett, McShane (c), L.Moore, Van den Berg, Kelly (Cooper 87), Evans, Beerens, McCleary, Samuel (Kermorgant 62). Subs not used: S.Moore, Harriott, Wieser, Meite, Watson. Booked: Meite 86.

Referee: Geoff Eltringham.

Attendance: 21,242.