A TODDLER suffered catastrophic head injuries after climbing onto a toilet seat and falling from an open bathroom window, an inquest heard.

Jayden Beckett, one, fell a matter of hours after he had been bathed by his auntie and was rushed to John Radcliffe Hospital in a critical condition on June 12.

The young boy died in hospital three days later despite the best efforts of paramedics and his family, who attempted to rush their child to hospital as his condition deteriorated.

His father Jay was outside the home on Nutmeg Close in Lower Earley when he described seeing his son fall out of the corner of his eye, sparking a desperate effort to save his life.

The family only made it to Wilderness Road before paramedics advised them to pull over so that medical care could be given before their arrival at the Royal Berkshire Hospital.

The 22-month-old boy was struggling to breath and was transferred to John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford after scans revealed he had suffered a bleed on the brain.

Tests indicated he was a significant risk for operation after landing on the ground head first and doctors were unable to save his life.

A statement from his mother, Stephanie, read: "It is the only window in the house without a lock.

"He ran out of the bedroom and I thought he was going to see his auntie who had given him a bath."

The family, who did not wish to attend the inquest at Reading Town Hall on November 1, suggested the window had been left open because of the condensation from the bath.

Peter Bedford, senior coroner for Berkshire, recorded a verdict of accidental death.

He added: "This was a tragic, tragic accident. It is a situation that all parents will dread and will all have the utmost sympathy for.

"It was an unfortunate chain of events which resulted in Jayden, an active young boy, climbing and spotting his father outside the window and losing his balance.

"Any suggestion that the family were in any way involved should be completely rejected."