A BUILDER who won £1million burgled a house and was caught out when a distinctive tattoo on his buttocks was picked up by CCTV, a jury heard. 

Nathan Hageman was snared by police after the tattoo on his bottom was revealed on CCTV while breaking into a family home and stealing a safe containing £8,000. 

He won £1 million on former prime time TV show Red and Black fronted by Geordie double act Ant and Dec.

Jurors were told the 37-year-old, along with accomplice Nathan Taylor, stole a safe containing £8,000 in cash from a property Hageman was working on renovating a bathroom. 

CCTV footage at the property in Crowthorne captured masked men climbing a ladder into the property while Rebecca Varley, the homeowner, went away for two days.

Prosecuting the case during a trial at Reading Crown Court John Evison told the jury Miss Varley had employed a recommended builder to carry out work on her bathroom who, in turn, introduced Hageman. 

He said: "It seems likely that Mr Hageman, became aware of the safe and its contents. 

"She went away on the Friday and left both men in the premises but when she came back on the Sunday the safe had gone."

Miss Varley had installed CCTV cameras both inside and outside her home which showed two burglars entering her home via a ladder and entering the house through her son's bedroom window. 

Mr Evison showed jurors still photos from the footage including one of Mr Hageman at the top of the ladder with a builder's bum and part of a tattoo exposed. 

He said: "You can't see it very well but there is a tattoo on the man at the top of the ladder's bottom that looks suspiciously like the one on Mr Hagemna's right bottom."

Police were then made aware that Hageman, of Ambrook Road, Reading, had an associate.

Nathan Taylor, 29, of Holberton Road, Whitley Wood, was arrested and, yesterday,  admitted one count of burglary and a charge of converting criminal property.

Hageman, who denies a charge of burglary and a single count of converting criminal property, claims Miss Varley asked him to take the safe.

Miss Varley, a carer for dementia patients, told jurors the safe was "good quality" and that nobody would have been able to get into it. Miss Varley noticed the safe missing when she returned on May 24. 

"When I came in I went upstairs just opened the wardrobe to put something in and went to my son's room and there was stuff knocked off the window sill," she said.

"I didn't realise I had been burgled. I went into my room and saw the mess and that the safe had gone. 

"It was a very traumatic thing to happen. I am not insured and I have never had a penny back. 

"After looking on the CCTV we watched them come in, get the ladder, go in through my son's room. He is 12 now and won't even sleep in his own room now. 

"My daughter April was saving money from work to buy a house. Whenever she had money she would give it to me and I would put it in the safe for her.

"This case has caused me and my family a lot of emotional trauma. My son can't sleep. He [Hagemon] just wants to cause me as much pain as possible and he is telling you a pack of lies."

John Simmons, defending Hageman, suggested the mother and daughter agreed to  the burglary taking place while Rebecca was on a weekend break in Telford with her son in 2015.

Simmons told the mother: "You talked to him about the fact that you have made a lot of money in the past. You told him about the safe and you told him that it was insured and you tried to ask him to fake a burglary."

The trial, being heard by Judge Alexia Durran, continues tomorrow.