TWO teenagers have been jailed for more than 27 years after they stole money from a young man who later fell through a window to his death.

Samuel O'Brien, of Blandford Road, Whitley, was attacked by Ide Faysal and Abidiqader Shidane, in the early hours of July 2, causing him to flee to a nearby block of flats on Southampton Street.

The 31-year-old father attempted to exit through a second floor window, but he sustained fatal injuries after falling.

Faysal and Shidane, 18, had already left him with a head injury after the initial attack on St Giles Close.

They had also carried out a series of other robberies between May 14 and June 25 in the town centre, using threatening weapons to steal mobile phones and bank cards.

Reading Chronicle:

The family of Mr O'Brien have released a tribute to the father of a seven-year-old boy.

They said: “Sam was an extremely popular man, a much loved son and a brother, with everything to live for, and a devoted father to his son, who is devastated.

“As a family we are united in grief, his loss has deeply affected us all. He had many things planned and had a very bright future ahead of him before his life was so tragically cut short.

“Sam is deeply missed by all of his family and friends and a light has gone out of our lives.

“We have finally got justice for Sam and we would like to thank the police, CPS and barristers for their determination and hard work.”

Police and paramedics were sent to the town centre in the early hours of the morning after he was seen slumped on the pavement on July 2.

Faysal, of Poplar Place, Hayes, was sentenced to 15 years in prison at Reading Crown Court on Monday after being convicted of robbery and manslaughter after trial.

Reading Chronicle:

Shidane, of Crest Gardens, Ruislip, admitted to two counts of robbery, but denied manslaughter. He was also convicted by a unanimous jury and received a sentence of 12 years and six months.

Investigating officer Nathan Lampard, of Force CID at Reading police station, said: "The offenders travelled to Reading from London to commit violent robberies, and, as an indirect result of their actions, Samuel O'Brien tragically died.

"While the sentencing of Faysal and Shidane will not lessen Mr O'Brien's family's sense of loss, we hope it brings some small comfort to them that those responsible have received lengthy jail terms.

"The successful outcome of this complex investigation shows that Thames Valley Police is committed to bringing those who carry out violent offences to justice."