The owner of a Chinese takeaway has been fined thousands of pounds after a customer suffered a serious allergic reaction to a curry.

Wai Tak Wu, 70, runs the Szechuan Inn in Thatcham.

On December 10, 2022, a diner went into allergic shock after eating a curry which contained peanuts.

The customer had expressly requested that the curry be served nut-free.

On May 10 this year, Mr Tak Wu was fined £4,272 at Reading Magistrates' Court.

He had previously pleaded guilty to charges of failing to comply with food safety standard and selling food of a nature not demanded by the purchaser.

This followed an investigation led by the Public Protection Partnership (PPP).

Cllr Lee Dillon, West Berkshire Council's executive member for public protection, said: "Food allergies can present serious risks to health, and it is vital that customers can feel confident when ordering food in restaurants and other food outlets.

"It is vital that all food outlets highlight food allergens.

"Customer safety is a serious responsibility, and this business fell short in this case.

"We always advise anyone who is eating out to check if any allergens may be present in their food."