For this week’s nostalgia, we have decided to look back at some of Reading's popular pubs from decades gone by.

We have delved deep into Reading Museum's archives to showcase photos of pubs in and around the town.

Reading Museum has shared interesting insight into social life of Reading from many years ago.

The museum said: "Reading has an array of pubs of different sizes, origins and ages. Over the years favourite haunts have come and gone, but a few have survived changing fashions.

"In the centre of town inns like the Angel, George and Broad Face were part of Reading's commercial life. Others like the Crown and King's Arms grew up along the busy London to Bristol or Bath roads, reaching the height of their prosperity in the coaching age and declining rapidly with arrival of the Great Western Railway in 1840.

"Some of these smaller coaching inns survive as public houses, including the Turk's Head."

After delving deeper into the history of the George Hotel, the inn on the corner of King Street and Minster Street is recorded as far back as 1423, though the present buildings are mainly 18th and 19th century, the museum explained.

Looking at the Old Crown Inn, the pub was one of the largest and oldest coaching inns in Reading.

In the 18th and 19th centuries it was one of the main stopping points for stage coaches. Queen Charlotte, William Pitt and John Wesley are just some of the people who dined there. 

Photos show people enjoying a drink in the Greyhound pub, which closed in the 1990s and was later demolished for new housing.

Reading museum added: "New hotels and pubs such as the Great Western opened to serve the new railway trade and the growing areas of housing that were being built to house workers in Reading's factories.

"In the 20th century public houses opened in new suburbs, though many have since been demolished or converted to other uses as regular pub-going declines. However in Reading centre new bars have opened alongside older survivors."