Reading limped to Championship survival despite a 3-0 defeat on Humberside to Hull City.

A double from Keane Lewis- Potter and an Alfie Jones strike meant Paul Ince was relying on Peterborough United to drop points at home to Nottingham Forest, which they duly did.

After a thrilling Easter weekend, in which the Royals picked up four points, Ince named an unchanged team from the 4-4 draw with Swansea City on Easter Monday.

Reading started the match slow, as did hosts Hull City, with the first 20 minutes consisting of plenty of huff, lots of puff, but no end product. Pretty passing spells and attempts to get into the opponents boxes was met with a wall of defenders and a sloppy pass. Josh Laurent had a good chance to score within the opening half hour when a Junior Hoilett cross was cut back to the onrushing midfielder, only for the former Shrewsbury Town man to lose possession while on the spin.

On the half hour mark the hosts began to put their stamp on the game, with captain Richie Smallwood and defender Jacob Greaves going close, but it was the Royals who carved out the most clear-cut opportunity early on from another Hoilett cross. The Canadian linked well with left-back Baba Rahman and the former QPR and Cardiff City winger floated a cross into the box. Laurent timed his run to perfection and met the cross with his head, only for the shot to fly straight into the midriff of keeper Nathan Baxter.

Reading Chronicle:

Lucas Joao and Tom Ince both had promising opportunities as the half was dwindling out toward a goalless conclusion, but the Tigers struck with just five minutes of the period remaining. George Honeyman picked up the ball in the midfield and drove a pass out to Keane Lewis-Potter on the left-hand side. Top scorer Lewis-Potter collected the ball and reached the box before powering a shot past Orjan Nyland at his near-post for his 11th goal of an eye-catching season for the Academy graduate.

Shooting toward the 500+ Royals behind the goal, a reaction was needed in the second half. Unfortunately, one was not forthcoming, with the game following a similar pattern as the first. It took less than 10 minutes for the hosts to double their lead, when a Honeyman free kick dropped in the box and defender Alfie Jones tucked home in the ensuing scramble.

It could so easily have been three just moments later as Lewie Coyle headed a ball across the face of goal but there were no takers. Joao should have pulled one back midway through the half when Ince picked up the ball in midfield and drove toward goal. He threaded a pass to Joao, who was one-on-one with Baxter, but the keeper tipped his shot wide before Ince’s rebound was fired wide.

Reading continued to pick the ball up in good positions, firing countless balls into the Hull box, however there were repeatedly nobody on the end of them. Captain Michael Morrison, Stoke City loanee Ince and substitute Ovie Ejaria all had chances to make the Tigers sweat going into the final few 10 minutes, but Shota Arveladze’s men rarely looked like conceding.

Reading Chronicle:

Deep into stoppage time Tom Eaves flicked the ball onto Lewis-Potter who calmly finishes past Nyland.

Just two matches now remain in the 2021/22 Championship campaign, with West Brom at the SCL Stadium and a trip to play-off chasing Luton Town on the final day.

Despite the poor result, much solace will be taken that the club will be in the second tier next season after a tumultuous campaign.