Reading FC ended a tough week with a huge three points away from home as Tom Dele-Bashiru, Andy Carroll, and Danny Drinkwater fired the Royals to a 3-2 victory at The stadium.

An explosive encounter sparked into life in just the second minute when Jamie Paterson gave Swansea the lead, but Reading equalised moments later through Dele-Bashiru. Carroll’s first goal for the club made it 2-1 at half-time before Swansea got back on level terms in the 49th minute, Ryan Manning the scorer. But just as with Swansea’s first, Reading responded and Drinkwater regained his side’s lead seconds later - a goal that would prove to be the winner.

Reading boss Velijko Paunovic made three changes from the side that was beaten by Sheffield United in midweek, Tom Holmes replacing Liam Moore at the back, Alen Halilovic coming in for Ovie Ejaria in midfield, and Andy Carroll getting his first start in Reading colours with George Puscas dropping to the bench.

Swansea started in control and made their early dominance count in just the second minute when Jamie Paterson got on the end of a Korey Smith through ball, rounded Southwood and finished into the gaping net. 

It was easy to wonder if Reading would collapse following their recent struggles but instead, they fought back immediately. A well-worked move ended at the feet of Tom Dele-Bashiru on the left side of the box and the midfielder stayed calm to cut inside and power past Ben Hamer to give the Royals a crucial equaliser.

The hosts continued to control the tempo of the game and thought they had regained their lead in the 22nd minute when Joel Piroe tapped home following a neat passing move, but the linesman’s flag came to Reading’s rescue.

Piroe again went close a few moments later, this time seeing a flicked header cleared away by Abdul Baba Rahman at the back post.

While Swansea had the edge in possession, it was the visitors who grabbed the all-important lead, Andy Carroll notching his first since moving to Berkshire earlier this month. Drinkwater dinked the ball over the top and Carroll raced onto it, cut inside, and finished into the bottom corner. Swansea boss Russel Martin furiously petitioned for the linesman to raise his flag, but the official was unmoved as Reading headed into the break with a 2-1 advantage.

But Reading’s advantage would last just four second-half minutes as Ryan Manning connected with a dipping volley from the edge of the box to make it 2-2. Once again though, Reading responded straight away, Dele-Bashiru slicing through the Swansea defence before seeing his shot come back off the post. Luckily for the Royals, the ball fell right to Drinkwater who made no mistake to restore the visitor’s lead.

Carroll and Laurent each then went close to giving Reading a two-goal cushion, Carroll firing wide from a tight angle before Laurent’s drive from 25 yards out was pushed behind by Hamer.

It was Southwood’s turn to rescue his side moments later, first saving from Matt Grimes before somehow keeping out Olivier Ntcham’s effort from close-range.

John Swift was next to go close in a back and forth encounter, seeing a well-hit free-kick from the edge of the box touched over by Hamer at the last second.

Swansea pushed for a late equaliser but Reading defended their box with real conviction, holding on to win 3-2 and earn a massive three points.

READING FC: Southwood, Yiadom, Dann, Holmes, Baba Rahman, Laurent, Drinkwater, Dele-Bashiru, Halilovic (Azeez 67’), Swift, Carroll (Puscas 82’)