AN EVENT to mark the anniversary of a World War Two bomb attack on Reading which killed 41 people will be taking place today (February 10).

A short ceremony will be led by the deputy mayor of Reading, councillor David Stevens, in Town Hall Square at 2pm.

READ MORE: Pictures of Storm Ciara from across Berkshire

A wreath will be laid at a commemorative plaque to remember the people who lost their lives when a lone German plane dropped four 500kg bombs in Reading town centre on February 10, 1943.

Pupils from St Mary's and All Saints Primary School will be attending the ceremony and adding wreaths they have made in school.

Representatives of the Royal British Legion have previously visited the school and described to pupils what it was like being a child in the war.

All are welcome to attend the ceremony.

READ MORE: Dogs Trust Newbury: Mother and daughter dogs need forever home

Many of those killed in the bombing had been in The People's Pantry, just opposite the Town Hall, which had been set up as an emergency feeding centre offering cheap meals to help supplement rationed food.

A bomb passed through the roof of the building and detonated close to the Town Hall.

A commemorative plaque was unveiled seven years ago as part of the 70th anniversary event to remember all of those killed, plus the 150 others who were injured.

February 10, 1943

The first bomb hit Simmonds Brewery and exploded, leaving a 25 ft crater near a paint store.

The second passed through the offices of the Labour Party on the south side of Minster Street before exploding in the restaurant of Welsteeds department store across the road.

Falling a few moments later, the aircraft’s third bomb collapsed part of the Victorian arcade linking Broad Street and Friar Street, before exploding in a yard outside the People’s Pantry.

Paddington Bear author Michael Bond was installing a radio transmitter on top of the People’s Pantry at the time.

The final bomb passed through the top of the People’s Pantry building and detonated a few feet from the south tower of the town hall, bringing down the front of Blandy and Blandy’s solicitors, damaging St Laurence’s Church and severely damaging the Town Hall itself, which was the control centre for Civil Defence in the town.

As the bomber flew off the crew machine gunned the town, injuring a woman in Hemdean Road, Caversham and damaging a school.

Tragically, only 37 of those among the dead and injured were identified, the youngest being two 10-year-old children.