An inquest into a psychiatric patient who died in a fire is set to take place more than four years after her death.

The family’s lawyers have raised concerns that investigations have only been produced by the responsible authorities and are not fully independent.

Sarah Jane Williams was a patient in the Daisy Ward of Prospect Park Hospital and was due to be moved to a more secure location days after the blaze broke out in her room on December 6, 2015.

The family is still waiting for answers more than three years after Sarah died.

And on Wednesday, they held a protest outside the Town Hall with members of the community, calling for justice for mental health patients.

Sarah’s family are unable to afford independent investigators as they are reliant on legal aid from the state, while the fire and health authorities have hired their own experts to investigate the death.

A fourth review will take place in November this year, with a three-week jury inquest to be scheduled for the first half of 2020.

Sarah’s mother Pauline Woods said the situation was ‘so stressful’ and ‘legal aid would not last forever’.

The inquest will focus on Sarah’s care, fire safety measures at Prospect Park Hospital and the events of December 6, 2015.

Sefton Kwasnik, the family’s lawyer, said it would be difficult for the family to afford to do their own reports.

He said: “The financial constraints may prevent the family from placing an individual expert to produce an adequate report. Sarah cannot speak.

“The family have been waiting for three and a half years for the ability to fully record their concerns.

“They are concerned that there will be sufficiently robust scrutiny.”

Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust and Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service both funded their own experts to conduct ‘independent investigations’, which coroner Alison McCormick said she is ‘satisfied’ with.

The family wish to instruct experts to conduct independent investigations into the actions of Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust and Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service on and leading up to December 6.

Mr Kwasnik added: “If Sarah had been transferred on November 17, we may well not be having this inquest.”

The family’s lawyer read out a letter from Dr Rami El-Shirbiny who professionally assessed Sarah on November 16 and said she was ‘not appropriately accommodated and ‘should not be held at Prospect Park’.

Mr El-Shirbiny’s letter referred to Sarah’s ‘fire risk’ and ‘interpersonal violence’.

The family’s lawyer said they cannot afford to fund their own independent investigations but has not ruled out the possibility of doing so entirely.

A pre-inquest review initially took place in November 2017, where previous coroner Peter Bedford indicated a jury inquest would be necessary but was reluctant to proceed before the Care Quality Commission’s (CQC) findings had been produced.

The latest hearing was adjourned till May 15 due to the fire service and Berkshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust failing to disclose information requested by the coroner.