A ROAD Wars policeman killed two elderly women while driving to an emergency incident, a jury inquest heard.

PC Darren Staley was travelling on the A4 Bath Road in Calcot when he collided with a Nissan Micra on January 23 last year.

Dr Gwyneth DeCamps and Ann Valley both suffered traumatic injuries in the crash after attending a luncheon group meeting at a golf club.

The driver of the Nissan, 87-year-old Mrs Valley, died at the scene, while Dr DeCamps, 88, was taken to hospital before she died.

An inquest heard how the two women were slowly emerging from a junction when PC Staley hit their car at 49mph.

PC Staley was said to have acted heroically in the immediate aftermath of the crash, as he rushed from his unmarked vehicle to check on the two women.

Alison McCormick, assistant coroner for Berkshire, said that medical examinations revealed both women died of blunt force trauma to the chest.

Concluding the inquest, she gave a formal conclusion of road traffic collision for both of the women.

In her conclusion she stated: "Mrs Valley died on the afternoon of January 23 2018 on the A4 Bath Road, Calcot, Berkshire, from injuries sustained while driving a car in collision with an unmarked police car.

"Mrs De Camps died on the afternoon of January 23 2018 at the Royal Berkshire Hospital, Reading, from injuries sustained while the front seat passenger of a car in collision with an unmarked police car.

"The police car was travelling at 70mph on an immediate call with lights and sirens activated. The give way sign on West Drive is set back from the road edge, thus restricting visibility of the A4. There is an additional obstruction from a lamp post."

The Thames Valley Police officer starred in the TV series Road Wars, known as PC ‘Daz’ Staley, and served as an officer on the elite Pro-Active unit.

The jury heard how he was rushing to the scene of reports of an offender ramming into another police vehicle.

PC Staley said: “I could see a vehicle from my nearside in my view. It seemed they came out of nowhere - all I could remember is braking, holding the steering wheel in place and hoping it was going to stop.

“When I opened my eyes, my vehicle was full of smoke and straight away I was aware the vehicle was on fire. I undid my seatbelt, reached for the driver’s door and I remember having pain to my head.”

An independent investigation concluded the officer’s account was consistent with correct protocol and there was no indication of misconduct.

IOPC regional director Jonathan Green added: “The consequences of this incident were tragic and my thoughts are with both families and all those affected. After conducting a thorough investigation we found that the officer’s driving was in line with police policies for responding to emergency calls.”