THESE are the first images of the Crowthorne father who was punched outside a Reading nightclub before he hit his head on the floor and died.

Malcolm Callender, 48, suffered a blow to his head after being punched to the ground on Friday, April 12, outside Matchbox nightclub in Friar Street.

The incident, which was initially treated as a murder but reclassified to a manslaughter investigation, took place at around 11.30pm.

A post mortem examination concluded that the cause of death was blunt force trauma to the head.

It is believed that Mr Callender, a former soldier, had served in the British Army in Afghanistan.

He completed a 'lifelong ambition' in 2015 when he finished the Marathon Des Sables, the world's toughest foot race, where he raised money for the Make a Wish Foundation.

Mr Callender worked at Wellington College in Crowthorne as head of works and estates, and staff have expressed their sadness at the news.

A spokesman from the college said: "We are deeply saddened by the death of Malcolm Callender.

"Our thoughts are with his family, and we are unable to provide any further information.

"Our thoughts are entirely focused on supporting the family through this difficult time."

Mr Callender was taken to hospital for treatment following the incident but died after arriving.

His next of kin are being supported by specially trained officers.

An 18-year-old man from Crowthorne has been arrested in connection with the incident and has been released on police bail until May 10.

The two men are believed to have known each other.

Senior investigating officer, detective inspector Sally Spencer, of Thames Valley Police’s Major Crime Unit, said: "This incident was initially investigated as a murder investigation, however having now conducted a number of enquiries this case has now been classified as a manslaughter investigation.

"I understand that this incident will cause concern to local residents, but I want to reassure the community that this was an isolated incident between two people who were known to each other.

"I want to take this opportunity to appeal to any witnesses or anyone with information to please come forward.

"The town was busy on Friday night so I am sure there are some people who are witnesses but were perhaps unaware of the seriousness of the situation."

Police are urging anyone with information to contact them on 101.