A HOMELESS man died after ingesting a lethal amount of alcohol while sleeping in the town centre.

Marek Drywa, 59, was more than six times over the drink-drive limit when he was found lying unresponsive on Friar Street on March 14.

The Polish national died of acute alcohol toxicity, having suffered with pulmonary tuberculosis.

His inquest at Reading Town Hall on Thursday heard how a member of the public arrived for work at 7.30pm when he spotted Mr Drywa in the doorway opposite Greyfriars Church.

Peter Bedford, senior coroner for Berkshire, said the combined toxic effect of the alcohol caused his respiratory system to fail.

Members of his family were made aware of the inquest through the Polish Embassy in London, but they did not attend.

Paramedics and police were called to the scene, but he was declared dead.