A TUMBLE dryer is believed to have malfunctioned, causing a devastating fire which has left a home 'uninhabitable'.

Firefighters from Newbury, Whitley Wood and Oxford were all sent to Church Side, East Ilsley, on Thursday evening.

The blaze spread all the way from the kitchen to the first floor and loft area of the house, leaving roughly 50 per cent of the with extensive damage.

Fire crews were on the scene for more than three hours and an investigation is underway.

Watch manager Richard Young from Newbury station said: "The fire spread from the kitchen and smoke entered the adjoining property.

"An investigation is still ongoing. We sent five appliances and an an aerial appliance from Whitley Wood. We used breathing apparatus, hose reels and jets.

"We got the call just before 6pm and the last appliance left at around 9.30pm. We had left before arrangements were made, but the fire was devastating and would have made it uninhabitable.

"I would like to remind members of the public not to leave appliances such as washing machines and tumble dryers unattended."

Firefighters will be returning to the scene to carry on with their investigation.