A 'COLD-HEARTED' killer sprayed bullets at 'a much-loved member of the community' in a row over money and drugs.

Terrence 'Jeff' Allamby died after he was shot in the chest twice at Morriss Court on September 29 in 1996.

Howard Patterson denies murder and told a jury at Reading Crown Court he was visiting friends in Isleworth on the day of the shooting.

The 52-year-old is also accused of attempting to kill Henroy Dryden, who said he had a lucky escape after a bullet hit a gun strapped to his waist.

Allison Hunter said Dryden refused to pay Patterson at the flat where £4m worth of drugs were handled every year under the nose of police.

The drug-ring continued for 15 years after Allamby was gunned down and Errington 'Tymal' Marks was jailed for life in May 1997 for ordering the killing.

A fight broke out before Marks told his accomplice to 'shoot the p***y' and he opened fire on Allamby, the court heard.

During her closing speech, Ms Hunter added: "All of the evidence, every single piece of it, fits together like a jigsaw puzzle.

"Howard Patterson stood in the hallway, spraying a Mac-10 sub-machine in the direction of Allamby and Dryden.

Reading Chronicle:

Jeff Allamby features on the town's Black History mural on Mill Street

"It brought an abrupt and tragic end to the life of a much-loved member of the community. This is a cavalier, cold-hearted and terrifying man."

The drug-ring became divided after the Reading and Jamaican factions started to argue over bringing cocaine into the operation.

Mr Dryden said: "I grew up with Jeff. The first time I got into trouble I was with Jeff.

"I have not come here to tell a lie. I have been to prison so many times. I am not going to tell a lie and send an innocent man to prison.

"I know who fired that gun and it was Howie. The man from Jamaica. He had been with Tymal for about six months."

Patterson said he was not in Reading on the night of the shooting and adopted the name Vincent Richards when he fled to New York fearing for his safety.

Michael Holland, defending, said a bounty of £25,000 was put on Patterson's head after he was blamed for Allamby's death.

Police traced Patterson in the US after he was arrested for trespassing and he was extradited from the country before being detained at Heathrow Airport in March.

Patterson is charged with one count of murder, another of attempted murder of Mr Dryden, and carrying a firearm with intent to endanger life.

The trial, being overseen by Judge Johanna Cutts, continues.