A WAITER who was doused in boiling water has spoken of his life changing injuries as the UK's largest pub company was convicted of health and safety breaches for the first time in its 218 year history.

Plumbers were unable to fix the boiler at the Six Bells Pub in Shinfield when it broke in June 2014.

Management decided to install a tea urn and told dishwashers to carry scalding water across the kitchen to the sink using cloths to cover their hands.

At around 8pm on June 29, then 16 year-old James Bullen stumbled and soaked 19 year-old Aaron Large's legs and feet.

In evidence read out at Reading Crown Court on November 17, 2017, the Church Lane, Three Mile Cross resident said: "Boiling water went all over my legs and ankles and I screamed out in pain.

"I went to the back of the kitchen, asked for cold water and rolled up my trouser leg. No one knew what to do.

"I was advised not to go to A&E. There was nothing in the first aid box to help. I cried."

After a colleague's suggestion to wrap his leg in cling film was dismissed, Mr Large's step-dad drove him to hospital.

Following several months of treatment, the Shinfield resident was left with permanent scars.

Greene King, owners of the Six Bells, admitted breaching health and safety regulation when Wokingham Borough Council took the case to Reading Magistrates' Court earlier this year.

The pub giant was made to pay £150,000 after prosecuting lawyer Neil Allen argued the case for the council.

Reacting to the verdict, Mr Large said: "I think the fine is well deserved and a long time coming.

"Initially, the burns were excruciatingly painful. I was due to go on holiday abroad a few days later and could barely walk. I couldn't leave the villa and enjoy the sun and had to be looked and cared after constantly. I found looking at my leg disgusting and just felt like I could never wear shorts again.

"My body was fully recovered after a month or so however I have been permanently scarred for life and I have to wear Factor 50+ sun screen on my leg for the rest of my life."

Still enduring the pain of his injuries and occasionally suffering night terrors, Mr Large is now finishing a business management degree at the University of Surrey, while working part time as a student ambassador.

Paul Rodger, mitigating, said: "This is an organisation that takes its health and safety responsibilities seriously. We have much regret that the young man in this case was injured.

"After this incident there was an immediate investigation into what went wrong and a change in priorities of what to do when a boiler breaks down for longer than expected.

"It was totally an isolated incident. This is not a case of an action made to cut costs at the expense of health and safety."

In giving her verdict, Judge Angela Morris said the risk assessment that was made was "woefully inadequate" but applauded Greene King on its otherwise "commendable health and safety record."